Looking for an intruder pattern

B

boychick

Does anyone have a good intruder patern they would be willing to share? I'd like to tie a up a few to swing for chrome after the next rain fall. Thanks for the help.

Anyone have other ideas?

I didn't look at PK's link but I tie mine on articulated shanks (from Flymen iirc). I have been using some Stren braid for the Gamakatsu stinger. I usually start with a bright chenille ball at the back end to prop up the first "station" of feathers. Schlappen, rhea and maybe dyed peacock herl spun in a dubbing loop. The middle section of the shank usually gets diamond braid wrapped up to the second "station". I like a clump of spun deer hair to prop up the feathers towards the eyes. More schlappen, spun rhea and peacock, sometimes I'll use dyed ostrich herl too. Then the dumbell eyes and whip finish.

Shoot, I just reread all of this...lemme just go snap some pics and post them.

Edit:

All of my steelhead stuff is in my wife's car...don't ask...but here are some older flies that show a little better what I was trying to explain. No set patterns, just whatever looks good to me. Hope this helps a little.

If you find that black and orange one in Elk Ck that'd be mine.

I admire your work, turkey. Very nice.

Yea Turkey, those are nice. Steelhead flies are so cool.

Turkey, thanks for the guidance. I love those flies, nice work.

Thanks guys. I'm certainly not an expert on these flies and I've only tied a handful to date. One thing to emphasize, keep the material sparse. I think that they swim better when they're sparse but still maintain a large silhouette.

Disclaimer, I didn't actually watch this video as I'm on my phone soif it isn't too good I apologize in advance.

Here is a tutorial for my Medusa Mini Intruder that has been a very good pattern for me.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYZdoNy_ktc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUs74mirW_fJHxnuEy6UP-tw[/youtube]

Hi Al, how's it going!

If you want to tie tube flies, check the
canadian tube fly site. They have some videos
to look at. Just Google them for the link.

Thanks guys for the info. I spun up a couple based on the info provided, I'll post pictures tonight.

Here are my first few intruders. They are not great, but each one is better than the last.

Attachments

• My first intruders.jpg
    My first intruders.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 2
Back