Local versus Online Shops

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

Guys, I live in Philly and have no local shops around me. I have property in Centre County and the shop in Coburn is my local shop but now he has stopped selling tying material and just sells flies. What are the opinions out there about buying local or online? I want to support local shops but I find more and more either don't have tying materials or their selection is very limited.

Isn't there a TCO in Philly?

Ya Jimmy, I think there is. Plus you can buy from them online. It's a great store, personally my favorite. I'm sad the State College one isn't my 'home-away-from-home' one anymore.

Here's a link to the Google profile on it. I bet it's not but 20 minutes from your home.

www.greatfeathers.com
best selection of any tying materials i have ever seen and nice guys taboot! they are located in Sparks, Maryland.

If you are in Coburn why not shop Fly Fishers Paradise in State College?

Other than that TCO in Philly isn't a bad, close to home, option.

Isn't there another shop a ways east of coburn? Penns Creek Angler?

Here you go a really good local shop with all the material and supplies you will need:

http://www.classicflyfisherman.com/
Classic Fly Fisherman
Robert R. Selb
222 S. Broad Street
Lansdale , PA 19446

Toll Free: 1-866-930-3667 Phone: (215) 412-3667

regardless of the debate over on-line or local for gear, tying supplies should be bought in a shop.
You just have to see and feel it.

FFP pros
FFP in SC has a slight edge over TCO in SC IMO. Why? Slightly less expensive AND they tie flies in the shop for clients and the shop. Not all flies are tied there, but a good number. I found its easier to get tying advice there. I've heard many times that the staff showed people how to tie patterns right in the store (if they are not busy). They run out of things less often than TCO (not that TCO is bad), because they tie their flies with what's on the shelf. FFP has a better thread and lead selection IMO.

Pros of TCO: they have a more extensive ultra wire selection and have more exotic and specialized materials. They have better/more extensive zonker strip selections.

It's great having two shops in town! I go to both, but favor FFP

TCO Bryn Mawr is local to you in Philly.

TCO Reading is an hour and has a pile of tying. On Sundays you will be served by Henry Ramsey author of an amazing new book on Eastern hatches.

TCO State College has good tying supplies though not Reading level and you may get advice from the likes of Chris Daniels or Paul Weamer, both bad asses in their own rights.

Want to buy load of hackle, etc then hit Collins Hackel at FF show.

Hooks, beads (especially tung), some dubbing, most ribbing, just scour the Interwebz. Tung beads are stupid in shops.

You have options.

Edit: oh and TCO is actually open on Sundays.

Back