Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Last Time You Bought A Fly

I started tying flies in the late 1980's. I was into Steelhead fishing big time and going through flies like crazy. So I started tying. Told my wife that tying my own flies is not only gratifying but also will be a cost savings.

Now 30 years later, I have accumulated a stunning amount of tying material. I would buy the expensive dry fly hackle for use in dry flies.
But over the years, I have stopped buying new dry fly material. If I don't have the correct material I just buy the dry flies now upon need.

I may buy a dozen flies per year.

Posted on: 2017/11/20 18:15

From cambria county
I bought a few articulated streamers last year. I think 2 of them. I just didn't have the time to tie any of them. I also bought a few crappie jigs if those count. Both were from custom fly tyers if that helps the salt in the wound LOL

Posted on: 2017/11/21 12:20

From South Central,PA
A few months ago. If it's quick and easy to tie (under 5 materials and takes less than a few minutes to tie), I tie it. Anything more complicated and time consuming I will buy. I usually buy all my dry flies but that's starting to change.

I'm often thinking about time vs. money with flies. I'd be more upset loosing a box of flies I've tied, than a box of purchased flies. That time spent at the vise is valuable!

Posted on: 12/15 8:12

From NW Pa
I've been tying flies since 1970. Just about every pattern you could imagine over the years. Older early versions up through some of the more current ones. If a variation strikes me as interesting I go to the vice and tie a couple.

When I get the urge to purchase a fly I just lay out my 30 some odd boxes and "go shopping".

Posted on: 12/15 12:33

From Flourtown, PA
The only flies I purchase are my smallmouth poppers. I don't have the ability to airbrush poppers (yet), and while I tie a number of deer hair surface flies, sometimes the smallies just want the ol' Boogle Bug. As for trout or saltwater flies or streamers--I can't remember the last time I purchased flies. Maybe sometime back in the late 1980s.

Posted on: 12/18 11:49

From Greensburg, PA
RIGHT BEFORE THE LAST JAM. JUST WASN'T PREPARED. BEFORE THAT, PROBABLY 5 YEARS AGO ON A TRIP BACK TO IDAHO JUST TO BE NICE TO SHOP I USED TO FREQUENT.

Posted on: 12/19 11:32

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Do You Have or Will You Obtain Multiple State Fishing License’s for 2018?
Yes 68% (64)
No 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/7/20 10:51
4 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com