Kona hooks

Fredrick

Fredrick

Anyone try out the new Kona hooks I have good things so far about them and them seem reasonably priced . Hopefully someone will have them at the fly show so I can get a better look at them .

Kona Hooks

They are on par with the huge diversity of hook brands that has popped up over the last 5 years or so. Virtually all of these hooks are Chinese manufacture. That is not to say they are bad, not at all. Just that several brands have access to and are selling identical hooks.

Quailty is fine and I would have no problem using them. With that said, I would shop price over brand at this point. So if you see something you like, and the price is right, sure give em whirl.

Edit: I should add that the quality of Kona and all the other newer brands is far superior to that of the first generation of hooks that were produced in Asia. In fact, they are better in some regards than than the standard offerings of Japanese hooks such as Diiachi, Tiemco. The nickel black finish on some of these hooks is very nice, that includes the Kona hooks that I have on hand.

What other hook companies do you speak of the, I can only think of two other names Firehole and Ahrez.

Firehole, Allen, Hanak, Fulling Mill, and also the whole slew of "house brands"

Virtually all the brands that have jumped on the barbless, competitive, and streamer fishing/tying bandwagons.

Again, not criticizing their offerrings. There is just less diversity than number of brand names would suggest. Anyone with the will and a little cash can get quality hooks produced for their own brands, including many of the popular modern styles.

Coincidentally, Kona offers an OEM service to those wishing to develop their own brand.

Back