Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Just starting

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Quote:
My buddy, Paul G once caught a 21" smallie on a fly pattern I dreamed up and tied for him, on a rod I made for him and in a spot I found! The %$&)((#&^

I've not built one...yet...but that's got to be at the top of experiences. Very nice

Posted on: 2007/8/8 9:36

From Room 109
mattd

Here are two good sites http://rotaryflytying.com this one is 25.00 for a year subscription. About the same price as a book. I like the video. You can learn a good deal from watching

http://derekspace.net is also very good and free.

Posted on: 2007/8/8 9:38

From Gunpowder River, MD
Buy top quality tools and materails...Make the long term investment for you're craft; do it right the first time...

A few years ago when I started tying I made the mistake of going cheap on my vise, tools and materails, only to regret it down the road. It's heart breaking buying the same thing twice...

Looking back now; the single most important tool in my box would be my dual-flex-head Giraffe lamp with full spectrum, day lite bulbs...The flex-ability of this system allows one to eliminate shadow while maintaining natural color of materails at the same time.

Determine What flys you really need and start tying imitations...

Prehaps the most promising aspect of tying your own stuff up, lie's in the fact that you'll start catching more fish..Educated trout know what a store bought fly doesn't look like...

Try tying over the vise, and get a nice tech stool or chair.

Posted on: 2007/8/8 19:23

Guest_
Well, as ALWAYS, on this site, there is some excellent advice given!
Now, I realize that not everyone lives within a roll cast of a local fly shop, but I notice an awful lot of members, here, referring to Cabela's kits and others. There's NOTHING WRONG with these kits, per se' but I guess I'm more or less a "softy" when it comes to "supporting my local fly shop, over using an "on line fly shop".
If, today, I were just starting out, getting into flyfishing and tying, knowing what almost 30 years has taught me................... I'd kill myself, but die much richer! No, seriously, If I were starting out, I'd visit my local shop and just ask the owner to "put together a kit" for whatever type flies you fish with most, or would like to try tying.
Of course, there's the crap-heads out there, that own shops and may try and tell you........... "Well, you'll need this $3,000.00 Twist-o-Matic vise and solid gold thread and......................" but I think, for the most part, most shop owners are pretty honest in dealing with the new tyer, because they see them as a future customer.............. buying materials, threads and assorted items!!
Your local fly shop also is a great place to learn "tips and tricks", and usually, owners and employees are more than happy to help you thru a problem, if they're responsible for helping you getting started.
Nope, I don't own a fly shop and my "local one" is 107 miles, from here. But, I support "my local shop", and the end benefits have been priceless to me.
Yes, I also, order many things "off line", as well............... I'm loyal to my fly shop, but not STUPID when I see a bargain!!
So, check with your local shop(s), of you're near to one and you may find out that your "first kit", consists of exactly what you'll use and want, be of top quality materials and you'll own nothing that's wasted!?!
Just a thought!

Posted on: 2007/8/8 22:03

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com