Register now on! Login

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Jig hooks

2015/6/19 12:29
From Lancaster Pa
I picked up some jig hooks at the fly show this weekend and started tying some up tonight. As I was tying I wondered if the tippit might dislodge or prevent hookups. I don't really have any experience fishing jig hooks but they seem like a good idea for an anchor fly that is bouncing along the bottom. Anyone find that they get more missed hookups with jig hooks?

Posted on: 3/5 18:33
The mountains are calling and I must go. -John Muir

Re: Jig hooks

2006/9/9 11:22
From New Castle, PA
I don't tie a lot of patterns on jig hooks, but when I've used them I did not notice any problems and hooked plenty of fish without issue.

Posted on: 3/6 11:50

2009/5/29 16:32
From Nicholson PA
Use them all the time on streamers with no issues,They do prevent a few hook ups though meaning the rocks on the bottom.

Posted on: 3/7 11:06
Just trying to survive another day in paradise

2017/6/2 17:40
From Pittsburgh
I have been tying on jig hooks for the last year and about 4 months ago, I made the switch to all mainly all jigs for my comp style euro nymphs. I LOVE them. I tie all my nymphs with tungsten beads, that being said I hang up A LOT. However, I have really noticed a substantial decline in the number of flies I lose with jigs vs standard.

As for being worried about decrease in # of hookups, there is no need to worry about that, if you're euro nymphing( I'm assuming so) then hookups won't be defined by the type of hook, but by technique and how well you're detecting a strike.

Point being, jig hooks are awesome, the more you tie on them and fish them, you'll be impressed.

Posted on: 3/12 1:51
JUST GONNA SEND IT! ~ Larry the Enticer

2016/2/7 11:59
Except for the price, there is no downside to jig hooks. Hook ups are very good. They hold well. And I do they they hook the bottom less.

Posted on: 3/16 9:18

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Stay Connected facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44

Copyright 2018 by | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by