It's alive....alive!

bushwacker

bushwacker

Sometimes in the depth of winter; after to much fishing deprivation perhaps, I find myself concockting illogical, unconventional, mad scientist abominations at the vise. For instance, once I felt it necessary to make a behemoth stimulator made entirely of chartreuse bucktail. Sometimes its fun to see how much you can get away with and still catch a fish. What crazy, monster flys have you created?
p.s. I actually caught a 10" wild brookie on that chartreuse stimulator.

I got drunk and tied a parachute green weenie. It had a deer hair post and about 15 wraps of grizzly hackle. Traded it to Bruno and he caught a fish with it.

It did work.

Most of my ties are still experimental. Ha. Really though there had been times where I had just lashed a peice of yard to a hook for steelhead. They were not pretty but they still caught fish. No special receipes yet but that was one that came to mind.

I created what I call "the grub" last Winter.
It's brown goose biot tails,
ribbing of your choice, but I used rod winding thread,
Latex shell back and wing case: colored dark bown and laquered,
4-7 ostrich herls palmered as the body and trimmed on the bottom to look flat.

I have never fished it because I only have 2, but I will tie more and try this year.

In addition to that pattern, I have a desk full of "regect" patterns.

My best concoction is actually the fly I submitted to the swap (still need to tie 5 more). I wanted a black nymph with a bit of movement, and wanted to incorporate the easter grass I stole from a basket this spring. So in the fall I tied up an all black fly... 10 wraps of lead, black craft bead, 8-10 strands of marabou for the tail, black angora dubbing, easter grass flash back the whole length, and black goose biots tied in prince style. (picture below) I figured I'd tie it on as soon as I got to the stream. I went to the Neshannock, and caught 3 nice rainbows with it in my first 15 minutes fishing. IT WAS GREAT!

Back