Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Is head cement needed?

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
And Festus makes his triumphant return in 2012!

Posted on: 2012/1/4 13:07

From Monessen, PA
Answering the original question anew: no, not necessary, sometime worth the additional trouble.

Recycle all you can. I have harvested rusty flies from trees because the beadhead was untarnished.

I will usually repair a bad fly if possible, or will demote it to my bluegill box. Eventually or if needed in a pinch, I will dismantle a fly in order to gain the hook. I often turn dries into nymphs and maybe add a little pizzaz in the process.

I have even attempted to reverse engineer a fly from the Feathered Hook that was magic.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 14:43

From Pa
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
And Festus makes his triumphant return in 2012!

Thanks Ri. Been a long road back. But I have my place in Florida, and have my place in Tioga County, and I'm free as a bird. I'm good to go. Even off the insulin and can drink a few of these

Posted on: 2012/1/5 14:56

From Pa
Quote:

JackM wrote:

I have even attempted to reverse engineer a fly from the Feathered Hook that was magic.

Shoulda saved the fly and asked me for the recipe.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 14:58

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
You should make the JAM this spring. I've always enjoyed your literary genius and would enjoy meeting you as I know others would too.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 15:06

From Pa
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
You should make the JAM this spring. I've always enjoyed your literary genius and would enjoy meeting you as I know others would too.

Maybe this year. I have the Kettle Creek Summit in May. Just might be able to squeeze in the Jam to.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 15:09

From bucks county
hey. just wondering but, i got some dubbing wax, the sticky stuff, and it mysteriously dried out. can i apply it likke you would hard wax, or do i need some new stuff?

Posted on: 2012/1/5 16:39

From Pa
I prefer it to be very very very very tacky. IMHO, for a few $$$$, you'd be better off to buy another tin. Might be a trick to getting it tacky again, but I don't know it.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 16:59

From Souderton PA
Quote:

nealfish wrote:
hey. just wondering but, i got some dubbing wax, the sticky stuff, and it mysteriously dried out. can i apply it likke you would hard wax, or do i need some new stuff?

That strikes me as a bit odd. What brand was it? I have some dubbing wax that has to be over 30 years old and it is like new. There really shouldn't be much in the way of volatile components.

If by hard wax you mean tying wax or cobblers wax, and you are asking if the hardened dubbing wax could replace the hard wax, I think it would be best to use the real stuff. the ratio of soft wax to rosin is different, and I would guess it is unlikely that you would get the same effect. I really like to use a bit of tying wax when I'm starting the thread on the hook, or tying in hair. It seems to add just a bit of traction to the thread that makes the tying easier. You can use it to the thread before a whip finish, but don't do his if you plan on adding head cement as it will prevent the cement from penetrating the thread. I'm going to be making up a batch of tying wax in the next week or so and would be happy to send you a bit if you PM me an address. A little goes a long way.
Mike.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 20:29

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com