Is My Tail to Long and other Critiques

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

WMD Hot Spot Nymph

20140321_211332_zpsab39f1ec.jpg

20140321_211307_zps739dd2b6.jpg

I would say (and take this with a grain of salt) tail is a wee bit to long,and maybe use less fibers...like half that. Im sure others will chime in but tgats what i would say.

Less fibers for tail (1/2 the amount)Shorten the tail by 1/2, taper the body a little more and ease up on the hot spot. With the hotspot I generally whip finish the hotspot on. If you make the hotspot then whip finish you have a tendency to go a little overboard. Keep up the good work Andrew.

This is what I would have said. So when you tie another one let's see it. I look at hot spots as more of an accent not a big part of the fly.

Yeah I think that tail is too long, Stagger. For the next one you tie I'd try to keep it around the shank length, a little shorter is fine. I'd also say you have too many fibers in that tail. You could get away with half that amount. I usually use ~5 fibers on tails.

Remember you're imitating the two or three (depending on species) tails of a nymph.

Longer tails usually occur, with me at least, when I switch the material between my hands. One tip would be two wraps then pull the fibers to the length you want and tie them in.

Edit: Dang, I got tree'd.

In the middle of doing another, thought to long but already did tail of 2nd, and I'll post it but ...

1) Can u trim the tail?

2) Always good to get creative and change a few colors here and there, right? Nothing set in stone re thread/hot spot/dubbing color, etc?

///J55 ... no "and take this with a grain of salt" needed. I post my photos here to have them ripped when needed and/or told what I'm doing right when it looks good.

I personally would not cut the tail. Cut it off the hook and start over I've been known to do, but not cut it shorter.

If you trim it you're going to have abrupt edges (no natural taper to the fibers) and loose the "fan". It would be similar to a shrimp. I wouldn't do it.

There is nothing wrong with being creative. I'll let you in on a little secret that those that fish with me will hear me say "throw them a Snickers bar".

As far as hot spot color, I'd try an orange and a green at least. On the thread, I use different shades of thread for different weighted flies of the same pattern.

I always choke up, so to speak when i tie tails in. My tails were, and still sometimes are too long. I use my scissors and measure my shank and then transfer that to the taik to see if its too long or short. I only put a couple wraps on the tail so if its bunked up i can just take wraps off and start over. Know what im saying?

So this was my 3rd of the night but tied while u guys answered. I realize I need to shorten up the tail. Drank to much so I'm gonna tie more and I'll post.

Correct me if i'm wrong .. feel like I am not going crazy on the dubbing as I was a few weeks ago which is good, right?

Wrapping wire ok?

Got it re hot spot! .. is this one 'softer'?

FYI .. no more 1/2-hitch! Ed walked me thru the whip finish last week and emailed me the best video I've seen. Doing it slow but but doing it right and feel comfortable.

20140321_221245_zps05b31d3b.jpg

J55 wrote:

I always choke up, so to speak when i tie tails in. My tails were, and still sometimes are too long. I use my scissors and measure my shank and then transfer that to the taik to see if its too long or short. I only put a couple wraps on the tail so if its bunked up i can just take wraps off and start over. Know what im saying?

Yep .. both martin and VNurse showed me that last week but I forgot the few times I tied this week. Thanks for reminding me cause now I probably won't forget.

I was taught to keep the length of the tail the same size as the hook gap. The body looks great, but i would use half the amount you have for the tail and shorten it up. I also split the shank into thirds. Use the rear two thirds for body and the front third for thorax/bead and head or whip finish.

I think on this pattern you want a tighter dubbing noodle, i.e. less trailing fibers. I would also shorten the spacing on the wraps, therefore adding a wrap, on the wire. That's just me though, and it's probably more eye appeal to me than to the trout.

I can see a definite improvement on the nymphs on this page over the ones you posted the other week.

youre basically tying a frenchie nymph

tie them like this

412928628_640.jpg

the tail length can be anywhere from 1/2 to 1 hook shank long. your preference.

i would use 4-6 fibers for the tail material (for me it would be grizzly or coq de leon fibers)

i would also tie in the wire and the tailing fibers behind the bead (making sure the hackle fibers are the right length for the finished tail) and wrap the thread over them to the bend of the hook.

then i would return the thread in touching turns back to the bead. this will give you a smooth thread body.

now wrap the wire in spiral turns to the bead and trim off waste.

now tie in the bright colored thread behind the bead, trim off the body colored thread and dub the thorax with the hot spot colored dubbing. whip finish and trim off thread.

repeat until you have tied your desired quantity. go fishing.

Stag, you're progressing nicely. Stay with this pattern. Each one is looking better, sometimes you get things right one part at a time. Make sure once you get it right to use the best as a model and tie at least a half dozen. Like Nfr said, then go get em!

Yup!...very nice Stag.

My suggestion to anyone tying a specific pattern (beginner or even advanced) is to have a model fly of that pattern to examine. Study the proportions, materials, colors, and everything. Tie until you can replicate the model fly and tie it that way consistently.

My second choice would be to have a detailed pic of the fly and do the same as above.

With all that said; it is rare that a small variation in color, materials or proportions will render any fly pattern useless....lol.

The tail should be the length of the hook shaft and fewer fibers, no more then a half dozen. all mayflies, have 2 or 3 tails so keep that in mind when tying any mayfly imitation. The abdomen should end at the beginning of the hook bend not go down the bend.
Here's a video of the pattern.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2VJepwOO5Y

here !

Attachments

• to long tail copy.jpg
    to long tail copy.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 3
Tied a bunch like this past few nights ...

I feel like I'm going to hard on the hot spot but I look at the video and seem to be ok. 2nd photo think I went a lil to far back on the hook. Also went with less fibers

Anyhow better?

20140326_133629_zpsd6a14280.jpg

20140326_135649_zps281ad403.jpg

20140326_142600_zpsc69c30e4.jpg

better. one small detail...

convention says that the tails should be tied in right over the top of the last wrap at the back of the hook ( more or less). If you look at your pictures you will see you took a few wraps of thread forward and then tied in your tail.

As you wrap your thread back from the front of the hook, try stopping just shy of the end of the hook barb, and tie in your tails right there. small detail, the fish wont care either way, it just looks a little neater.

Back