Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: How Long?

From Berks County
Thanks for everyones replies. I guess I have a ways to go. I am enjoying the process. I am happy about one thing. The trout really like my hares ears. I think I am doing pretty good since I am just learning from an Orvis book. I have taught myself to fly fish (with help on this board) and now I am teaching myself to tie. I am just having fun. Thanks everyone!

Troy

Posted on: 2007/4/20 9:36

From Southeast PA
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Pay extra careful attention to your proportions and don't crowd the eye. A typical tyer can generate a fly in a few minutes and then fumble around the eye for several more. (thats another fly you could have tied) This is my biggest problem.
Maurice

AMEN to that! Nice to see that I'm not the only one who has that problem. It often causes me to end up mumbling all kinds of nasty things at myself.

I don't think I ever saw a subject on this board before where there was so much agreement! Isn't somebody going to say that if you don't tie a fly a minute you're not worth your salt as a flyfisherman?

Posted on: 2007/4/20 9:54

Quote:

Festus wrote:
Another is to make yourself one of these devices from a paper clip and an Exacto knife. I measure out all of my nymph wingcases and wings using this tool. Saves a bunch of time when working with goose or mallard wing quills and ensures uniformity on every fly.

That's a great idea! I have been using a draftsman's compass from my Jr. High School, er Middle School days with a divider point in each hole for eons.

It is very adjustable but your gizmo is a lot more compact.

Posted on: 2007/4/20 10:39

From Harrisburg
Dear Wulff-Man,

I think a lot of us would be surprised to find out that we tie flies a lot faster than we think we tie them. There isn't any more or less work involved in a professionally tied fly than there is with an amateur tied fly.

The time difference is mostly due to material selection. I may grab too much or too little tail material and have to fumble around there for a while. I find I buried my dubbing under my neck after the last fly so I have to find it again. I then spend 2 or 3 minutes or more selecting hackle for a dry fly while a pro picks his neck clean and sizes and labels it soon after he buys it.

We amateurs include the prep time when we tie and for a professional the prep work is done before they even sit down to tie. At that point it's just lashing things to hooks in steps.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/4/20 10:46

From Bucks County
I've been tying for about 3 years and on a good night I tie one in an hour. On a night when I'm tying for a trip I can get four to five an hour

Posted on: 2007/4/20 14:48

From Pa
Aw hell. I forgot what I wuz gonna say.

Posted on: 2007/4/20 15:16

From Pa
Oh yea....now I remember. Somebody mentioned something about tying a fly a minute. That's where those 45 cent flies come from.

BTW.....the Blue Quill is on. The Quill Gordon is on. The Grannom is on. Why am I here posting you might ask? Well....let's just say that the Pine feels a whole lot colder than 46 degrees and I just ordered a wading staff from Cabelas. Nuff said.

Posted on: 2007/4/20 15:17

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

Festus wrote:
That's where those 45 cent flies come from....

If the price has come down that far, I'll take a dozen.

Posted on: 2007/4/20 15:28

From South West FL
Quote:

Festus wrote:
Oh yea....now I remember. Somebody mentioned something about tying a fly a minute. That's where those 45 cent flies come from.

That was me. The fly I’m referring to is tied with 3 materials, plastic eyes, marabou tail and chenille. It’s like a wooly bugger without the hackle. If the materials are laid out you get a GOOD fly in less than a minute. Can you believe that people pay 4.25 for it? By the way that’s not my price that’s the shops price I get 2.65 a fly to tie it. Never did understand why it costs sooo much.

Posted on: 2007/4/20 15:31

From Philadelphia
MattM,
I'm guessing that Guiness sets up something of a variable in your tying time.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2007/4/20 16:39

From Pa
'Nother time saver,......Griffs Thin Coat, syringe, and preparing the material for the number of flies you plan on tying.

Attach file:

jpg  Dcp_4800.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2007/4/20 21:13

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I agree with everyone on taking your time, I was tying for the shop the week before season and was tying some flies 6 an hour. now that the stock is up I can take my time...I know guys who take all day to tie one fly just to make it perfect...

I average 6 flies lost a day...not because i get materials cheap but because I'm getting the fly to the fishes level (ie bottom, under roots, etc..)

Posted on: 2007/4/26 7:17

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com