Hooks

PinkLady

PinkLady

Hello All
I'm a newbie to tying and have a chance at a good deal on hooks. I'm wondering if any of you have used hooks from The Montana Fly Company and how they held up?

Allenflyfishing.com has great prices on hooks. Welcome to the forum.
Don't have any experience with Montana fly co.

GenCon

Thank you so much for the info guys:)

The best deal I have seen is from The Fly Shack $6.99 per 100 for a lot of their off brand hooks. I have used some and have no complaints so far.

MFC hooks arent bad at all

Also check out troutlegend.com.

For what its worth, J Stockard currently has hooks on sale - http://www.jsflyfishing.com/fly-tying-hooks. Im not sure how their prices compare to the other links posted as I havent compared.

There is currently a promo code for free shipping as well - hook2016

Daiichi 100 packs are a good deal and are the combination of value and quality that makes me happy.

I have bought 'deal' hooks and have never been happy with the result. Never used MFC but Allen left something to be desired compared to Daiichi, Tiemco, Mustad or Gamakatsu.

I have a had a few hooks pull straight on fish with bargain brands but plenty of people swear by them. I just like knowing when the going gets tough, my hook will stand up to some punishment.

Edit: Just looked at the link posted above about MFC hooks. I know exactly how those posters feel about bargain hooks bending, breaking and throwing away most of them.

I had to do that after I tied about 300 flies a couple years ago, it still makes me cringe thinking about stripping off all those flies to retrieve beads. NEVER tie a lot of flies on un-tested hooks.

I've used the MFC hooks - in larger sizes - and they were fine.
I have found however, that off brands hooks can be weaker - especially in smaller sizes.
So, for size #20 hooks, and smaller - I stick with the well known (i.e. pricier) brands - Tiemco, Daichi, etc

Thanks for the info. A friend and I stopped at Tackle Shack in Wellsboro today. To our surprise, they sell MFC hooks and we were able to check them out. While I don't know a whole lot about hook quality, my friend was impressed. At $8 per hundred, I believe I will jump on that deal and stock up.:)

Go for it! I used to buy Mustad hooks for $7.99 per hundred. Wow, I guess I'm kind of datin' myself now.

BlueQuill out of Colorado has a good selection with Dia Riki on sale. Fast and free shipping

I like Blue Quill. I just ordered a bunch of materials from them last week but didn't notice the hook sale:-(

Back