Hook sizes for stripers in South NJ

jbomb

jbomb

Hi all. I have a friend who is new to fly fishing asked me about flies for stripers. I was going to tie up some Clouser minnows for him, but I'm not sure what sizes to use.. I searched around, but didn't see any posts discussing fly size. He also expressed interest in crab patterns. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. I also wanted to state that I probably know less about fishing for stripers than my friend. I don't need to know exact size that will be perfect, just a good general size ... Mustad 34007 size 2?

That size will work fine -especially if you're tying Clousers in the 3 to 5 inch length range. Ditto for crabs.

I recommend not going bigger than about 1/0 even for large streamer flies. Most fly caught stripers in NJ are in the 12" to 25" range and you don't need massive hooks. Small hooks stick and hold well, even on much bigger stripers.

Fishidiot wrote:
That size will work fine -especially if you're tying Clousers in the 3 to 5 inch length range. Ditto for crabs.

I recommend not going bigger than about 1/0 even for large streamer flies. Most fly caught stripers in NJ are in the 12" to 25" range and you don't need massive hooks. Small hooks stick and hold well, even on much bigger stripers.

ditto^

I have seen many people using big giant hooks. It is just not necessary. I completely agree with FI. they stick and hold well.

GenCon

I have always used 1/0 to 3/0 on average, stripers can swallow a large bait even the small ones and I would rather use a larger hook than have one take a small hook into the gills or gullet

Sandfly. Sorry I will not agree. I have caught hundreds of stripers on fly's. Large hooks are not needed. Unless you need to use a really big fly. I don't ever recall gill hooking one.

What about colors? I have bucktails died olive and chartruese so that's what I was going to use, but I also have yellow and brown... Again, I don't know a thing about fishing for striper so any general guidance is welcome.

jbomb wrote:
What about colors? I have bucktails died olive and chartruese so that's what I was going to use, but I also have yellow and brown... Again, I don't know a thing about fishing for striper so any general guidance is welcome.

For that point. It is all about the bait fish that are present. If there are sand-eels, anything green over white. For many years I used deceivers
with lime green feathers for tails. with white buck tail for the collar.
Silver body and a bit of silver or green flash. All white deceivers with peacock on top are always a good general bait fish imitation. If you can do only clausers. Do olive over white and of course do chartreuse over white. If you don't know what a deceiver is. Just google Lefty's deceiver. It is a timeless pattern for all types of salt water fishing.
But do a little research and see what type of bait will be around at the time of year you are going.

GenCon

white lefty's deceiver with silver flash is a go to fly along jersey tied on a 2/0 hook

as the saying goes ' if it aint chartreuse, it aint no use'. Having said that , olive over white, all white, white and yelllow, black, purple. All good.

Lots of great info here : http://www.aswf.info (click on multi media)

and : http://www.stripermoon.com ( check the baitfish gallery, but there is lots of other info here too.)

IMO smaller/ thinner hooks penetrate easier, and are easier to set. Bigger fish can straighten hooks, so don't go too light on the wire.

I didn't see it mentioned, so I'll say it, I use stainless hooks in the salt. (1/0 usually).

You run a big risk of bending out hooks when you go smaller than 1/0.

I have tied and caught on sizes from 2 up to 4/0 all depends on what bait I'm trying to imitate but most are 2 or 2/0. Olive over white is good yellow over white and all white. The beauty of chartreuse is it stands out. I've thrown perfect imitations of peanuts into the school and lost it. Tie on a slightly different color of the same size and instantly it gets destroyed. Also black/purple for night time.

Back