Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Honey Bug Material

From Poconos, PA
Cotton Chenille (Honey Bug Yarn) Cream
Cotton Chenille (Honey Bug Yarn) PINK
Cotton Chenille (Honey Bug Yarn) YELLOW

Does this stuff work? Is it the same exact stuff?
Do trout have a good enough IQ to tell that is a different yarn?

Posted on: 2011/10/7 20:56

From Spring City, Gaines
If you are near Phoenixville, French Creek Outfitters carries it. If they don't have the colors you are looking for talk to Jack and he can help you out.

Posted on: 2011/10/8 12:02

From USA
Quote:

Do trout have a good enough IQ to tell that is a different yarn?

ROFL...It's all the same Doo-Dah-Man!

Posted on: 2011/10/11 8:16

From Lewistown
Again, sometimes fly tying isn't about fishing. Fly tying and fly fishing are two different hobbies; related and intertwind, yes, but the same, no. And sometimes the fly fisherman's confidence is what makes the difference.

For me, I look for substitutes that I already own.

Posted on: 2011/10/11 11:22

If you find a chenille or yarn material that works buy it up - there aren't always equivalents. Sometimes the substitutes do the same job - other times they don't. Many of these chenilles and yarns are low volume products made by specialty producers for something other than fly tying. These small specialty textile producers are fading away, so buy when you can.

A couple of sad stories from me. I learned to love Bill Skilton's egg yarn, especially in Apricot and Cream. I ran out of the Apricot and asked Bill about it at a show and he said the producer of the chenille went out of business and the original egg yarn was discontinued. Now I buy the egg yarn when someone has a card or two left, but the Apricot is terribly hard to find.

I used to tie a lot of flies with wool tapestry yarn and had some special colors. Could get wool tapestry yarn at local craft stores, but not any longer.

Finally, AC Moore had a variegated felting yarn that made on outstanding sucker spawn fly for the Salmon R. Of course it was made for only a year and I didn't buy enough to last me more than a season.

Posted on: 2011/10/12 11:58

From Philadelphia
I couldn't agree more with MKern. I find that I will catch more fish with my inchworm pattern than any other searching nymph I have. But to his point, I have confidence, so I always start out with it and if they hit on it, I stay with it. I have no idea most times if I started with something else would they have hit that too. I will also stay with it longer than I would with say a scud because of that confidence.

I will tell you a little story though. Many years ago I was fishing a spot of Penn's Creek that is fairly close to a road and homes. I was having incredible success in this hole on the inchworm. I'm talking like 6 or 7 fish in the first 15 minutes and some nice size too. A man sitting on his proch came down with another fly and asked me to try his because he wanted to know if it was the fly or the fisherman. I think it was a stonefly nymph but I don't remember for sure. Anyway, I went 10 minutes uisng it without a hit. I changed back to the inchworm and got a 16" bad boy on the second cast. I loked at him and said, it ain;t the fisherman!

Confidence goes a LONG way!

Posted on: 2011/10/12 17:45

From New Castle, PA
I have found the best material to work is fresh strips of bacon and potato skins. Haha

Posted on: 2011/10/13 9:11

From The great north east
That would catch me for sure haha

Posted on: 2011/10/13 10:08

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com