Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Honey Bug Material

From The great north east
Quote:
Actually, he asked for "Honey Bug material," which one can only presume means the original stuff. For better or worse, niche products come and go, not unlike the Lafontaine called for sparkle yarn which is gone. Does regular yarn work as well? Maybe, but there's people who swear by the real stuff. You want the real stuff, it would appear Sandfly has a stock. So do, or did, other shops here and there. Cotton chenille might be just as good, or maybe not. Sometimes the magic is in believing. Kinda like your fancy fly, eh? "No one uses my material but me!" Hopefully when you're dead and gone the last few cats who knew you will furtively trade whatever your secret stuff is in the shadows of the local fly shop backroom proclaiming it to truly be the magic, while outfront someone blows hard about how you can just use any old plastic bag etc? -shrug-

Lafontaine sparkle yarn is antron yarn. If you cant find that then I dont know what to tell you. There never was such a thing as sparkle yarn. That is a name Gary gave the yarn. The yarns he used are gone but the material in the yarn is not gone. Perhaps you should watch tying caddis flies with Jack Dennis, Gary Lafontaine and Mike Lawson. Then you can hear it right from Gary's mouth. If you want the same thing Gary used then mix clear antron with your color you desire. This is how the yarns were composed.

Now chadwhicks 477... Thats gone.

Sandfly have you looked into Cotton/rayon chenille? It was made around the time the honey bug was developed. Its not to common of a material still made. However it is still made. Look for a cotton acrylic chenille. They were also producing a cotton antron chenille at the time as well.... Now that blend is a good luck. But with some digging im sure it could be turned up.

Posted on: 2011/10/4 23:40

From Philadelphia
For those of you looking for the true "sparkle yarn" that Gary wrote about, I do believe it is still available from Gary's website. http://www.thebookmailer.com/Supplies/SparkleYarn.html.

God rest his soul and I hope he found some great streams to fish in his new world. I loved his books even though I disagree with some of his theories.

Posted on: 2011/10/5 6:54

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
The original antron was bought up by a supplier...but is still available. Also the correct hare's ear is still around too. Not the rabbit dubbing most shops carry but the Hare's ear that started it all..theres a difference between rabbit and Hare..

Attach file:

jpg  ab caddis 003.jpg (133.33 KB)
112_4e8c3d8578f4b.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  ab caddis 004.jpg (138.47 KB)
112_4e8c3da986dee.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  ab caddis 010.jpg (158.06 KB)
112_4e8c3dc6a89cd.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  ab caddis 005.jpg (124.20 KB)
112_4e8c3deaf1068.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  ab caddis 012.jpg (238.50 KB)
112_4e8c3e0d440ac.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/10/5 7:23

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

Oh you guys are priceless. Thanks for the humor.

Posted on: 2011/10/5 7:52

you make us laugh...thanks

Posted on: 2011/10/5 8:07

Dupont still produces Antron. The original. Sandfly your thinking of z-lon and the Craig Matthews tail.

Posted on: 2011/10/5 8:16

sorry dude I am thinking of the original antron, i can get a copy of the paperwork if you would like to see it..Dupont changed the properties of their antron and my supplier bought the last R.R. car of original antron...

Posted on: 2011/10/5 8:25

I'll take your word for it. This has gone beyond mundane. I tip my hat to you, you do know your stuff.

Posted on: 2011/10/5 8:40

From Lewistown
Just a side note:
When worked at Hille's years ago the previous own tried to sell the remaining stock of honeybug chenelle.

There may be a few spools still around, probably in the store's tying desk.

The stuff in their Honeybug kits was the new version of cotton chenelle.

Sandfly has some of the last remaining original material.

Posted on: 2011/10/5 11:24

From Philadelphia
Of all the threads (yeah I have 40 some posts so the sample size is enormous right!) I've posted, I never saw this one taking on a life of it's own. Thanks guys. Not only is this informative but entertaining to boot!

Posted on: 2011/10/5 11:44

From philadelphia
woooooohoooooo,i see big meadows has paypal now.last time i checked they didn't.what are good honey bug colors?

Posted on: 2011/10/5 22:43

From philadelphia
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

shakey wrote:
i'd love to see a picture of a honeybug .i don't know how it differs from a green weenie

All aside from tails, no tails, strands, and "translucency of cotton in water," well, the truth of the matter is tradition is tradition.

You're the sort of guy who I think gets that pretty well. Its a honey bug.

In addition to Sandfly's page, someone once sent me the original Honey Bug flyer.

If you PM me your address, I can email it. It would appear I cannot link it as a file to this post, but between that and Sandy's original material, you can be delightfully oldschool PA fishin' in no time.

FWIW, I received some of this in green from the Little Lehigh Fly Shop before it closed out. Its not the usual chenille, and I don't profess to know or care the difference between the stuff you buy in skein from the Internet and Sandy's stash, but this is a far cry from off the shelf rayon chenille. Sandy's samples seem to match up with mine quite nicely.

Frankly, this thread makes me inspired to order some as I only have the thicker one, and its just too much for the size flies I like to use.

somebody else emailed me the flyer!thanks!!

thanks GFEN,good cover for our relationship to act like you don't know my email,haha.

BTW,who is your avatar???my word!!

Posted on: 2011/10/6 19:50

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

shakey wrote:
thanks GFEN,good cover for our relationship to act like you don't know my email,haha.

Busted.

Posted on: 2011/10/6 21:16

From SEPA
Quote:

shakey wrote:
BTW,who is your avatar???my word!!

She's a young lady of questionable morals and career choice. I would heartily not recommend looking her up anywhere around your special lady friend. Ms. Grey's IMDB profile is relatively innocuous.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 15:35

Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
I tie something that I call an inchworm with this material that I dye green. I tie hundreds a year because I tie for me and all my friends. People tell me I'm tying a green weenie but to Mr. Utah's point, a weenie has a loop but I use no loop. I also tie it much bigger than green weenie's I've seen used.

That's the way I tie them too. Don Douple is the one who popularized this type of inchworm. It is a very effective fly.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 16:48

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com