Hendricksons Color Penns Creek April 18,19,20

Luke

Luke

I am heading up to Penn's Creek for three days of camping and fishing April 18, 19, and 20. We will be camping at Poe Paddy. I am not sure how long the Grannom hatch lasts, but I am expecting the tail end of it and probably the Hendricksons to be on strong. What colors and patterns would you guys recommend to tie? If I recall, they are a light pink body there? Does anybody remember for sure? I also recall some red quill action in the past, but I am not sure if that was a Hendrickson variety or something else hatching that time of year. Rusty spinner for dusk?

Adams. As I recall, hendricksons encountered there were dark and light. If you have mostly light, they will be dark and vice versa.

I used a red quill - with a rusty red body - out there last year last year, and it worked fine for me. But that is usually the case where ever I hit hendricksons. I seldom use the female, with the light pink body, anymore

heres a link to a great Hendrickson http://flypatternsfortrout.com/2011/12/08/the-classic-hendrickson-dry-fly-pattern/ hope this help!! Jas

The body color is almost like a washed out grey fox dub with a touch of red mixed in. You can see it in the link above.

Make sure to tie some thorax patterns and some CDC emergers. You will clean house.

Over the years, I fished mostly the red quill (male) representation. There was one stream that I had better ices with the female, but sadly the no longer hatch on that stream thanks to the PF&BC's decision to build a hatchery above the spring source.

When tying the red quill, be sure to add 2-3 wraps of red thread just behind the eye.

Thanks so much guys. You are a wealth of knowledge. I will try to tie some red quills this weekend in a #14.

fish both the male and female. Use two flies, and cover both.

Pics from Troutnut:

Attachments

• Female Hendrickson.jpg
    Female Hendrickson.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Male Hendrickson.jpg
    Male Hendrickson.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 16
based on current conditions..... this may also be a good pattern for the Hendrickson hatch.

Attachments

• CP.jpg
    CP.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 10
There could be a streamer or two thrown around in the mid-afternoon!

Current discharge is 938 cfs and that is fishable.

My trip starts next Wendesday evening, I expect water conditions should be pretty ideal by then; unless that 50% chance of Thunderstorm on Tuesday night hits!

The light color is fine for the females, but won't catch crap when trout are taking the males. You need the dark reddish brown for the males.

Not going to buy that chaz. People give trout way to much credit. They aren't that smart. In 30 years, 97% of my Hendrickson fishing was done with a female pattern or tan emerger. Caught PLENTY of fish. Ran our of flies and caught them on sulphurs and march browns during the Hendrickson hatch. General fly shape and a drag free drift is so much more important.

disagree krawdad.
color is also important in 40+ years color,size, and presentation are the 3 things needed to be successful in fly fishing for trout.

afishinado wrote:
PRESENTATION.......SIZE.......[size=x-small]COLOR[/size]

there you go with that logic again!

In reality, color is almost insignificant. Putting a small fly in the foreground with a highly illuminated background determining color is virtually impossible.

maybe to you but a fish sees differently than us. if that is the case why not carry 2 flies black and a white one and no others. this whole thing has been wheather a dark fly or pink fly or red fly, if color is not that significant why worry about that.

sandfly wrote:
maybe to you but a fish sees differently than us. if that is the case why not carry 2 flies black and a white one and no others. this whole thing has been wheather a dark fly or pink fly or red fly, if color is not that significant why worry about that.

Actually had a friend several years ago do this. He tied 2 different flies one had a cream body & the other had a dark gray body. He tied these in sizes 10 - 20. These were all dries. Oh, & no wings, just hackle, tail, & dubbed body. And he caught plenty of trout. He said he saw no difference in his numbers with matching the color or not.

Sandfly, I use the same color pattern...just in different sizes for paraleps, Hendricksons, grey fox, Cahill. Getting fish to eat isn't an issue. I think tying is a true art. Is it necessary to catch fish? I haven't seen the difference. Single wood duck wing, split tails and thorax style hackles. Profile on the water is all I'm looking for. Fish agree. :-D

Fishing the D River I took out my Mayfly Dry Box to select a fly and dropped my box in the water.........gone!.......no MF dries to match the hatch! All I had was a dry fly box with Caddis and a few Stonefly patterns. I selected a fly to match based on size and light or dark color, and did some surgery with my scissors. I had one of my best days fishing dries. That day taught me a few lessons:

Presentation trumps pattern or color or shape (with an honorable mention to reading the water)

Altering a fly to make it ride on, in or under the film often makes all the difference.

Attach lanyards to all my fly boxes! (haven't lost one since)

Back