Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Hen hackle on Spider Patterns

From Souderton PA
That is some very useful information DGC, and a very nice fly. You highlight the importance of understanding the materials and using that understading to tie better flys. Good stuff!
There are a lot of birds to consider other than starling, partrigde and hen. Feathers from plover,, jackdaw, snipe, and grouse are all traditional choices and provide different coloring and effects. They can be a bit harder to find, but I usually can pick this sort of thing up at the tying shows from any vendor that carries Veniard products. They are a UK company, so I don't know if they can ship to the US, but they have some nice high quality materials that are otherwise hard to find. On the dyed starling, I can't imagine the dying process helps the material much. The few dyed starling skins that I have handeled seemed okay, but I really didn't like the effect. It seemed somehow dead compared to the natural color.
I think finding and trying new materials is half the fun of tying. I guess you might be able to get by with starling and black thread, but I don't know why you would want to do so.
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/4/28 18:36

Re: Hen hackle on Spider Patterns

From SEPA

You can't get by solely on starling and black thread; you're going to need primrose thread, too.

Then you're set.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 9:32

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com