Hang time Muskie fly

Troutbum82

Troutbum82

Not sure how many guys on here fly fish for muskie but if you do you gotta check out a fly design by brad bohen called hang time. I tied a few of these massive chuck and duck flies and did great during the first two weeks of december. Caught 3 muskies no monsters but any muskie on a fly is a great catch.

the hang time is a great fly... it has progressed into a double and triples in the past few years

here is the original from Hatches Magazine in '08
http://hatchesmagazine.com/magazine/pdf/HangTime.pdf

Brad gave me a couple a few years back
did some work on pike
P6150336.jpg

also check out Nick Granato
http://flyobsession.com/

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2011/04/12/ghetto-tramp-by-nick-granato/

If there tyed right and you have right setup even 12 or 13 inch tandem hangtimes are not that hard to cast. I think Brad and Lucky call the tandem hangtimes the "double trouble".

I would like to watch zero to hero. I have seen the trailer looks good. The guy that made it i think his name is robert thompson aka third year fly fisher does great work. Anyhow yea the hang time is a great fly. I recently made a really simple muskie fly made from fish hair and some flash about 12 inches long worked great i'm hoping this winter isn't to rough i'd like to do some muskie fishing on the allegheny.

I dont like synthetics they tangle. No matter what. And collapse in the water.

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
I dont like synthetics they tangle. No matter what. And collapse in the water.

talk about a generalization...

maybe you just aren't using the materials correctly???

It is just one of my quick flies. I have a whole arsenal. I like thick weighted deer hair and marabou combinations. Big surface patterns have produced some fish over the years as well.

I just rather use bucktail feather and flash. Im sure Im not using the syn. correctly. i just dont like workin with it.

@ ramcat you said brad bohen gave you some hang time flies? How did you meet him?

that makes more sense than...

"they tangle. No matter what. And collapse in the water."

I think the right balance of both natural and syn is the way to go

@deaddriftx

we've fished togeather

That must have been pretty cool to fish with him. That guy knows his stuff.

I love the look of confusion i get from people when i'm fly fishing down at the river and they ask what i'm fishing for and i say muskie. They look at me like i'm totally insane lol. I never could figure out why muskie on the fly hasn't picked up here in western pa. We have awesome muskie water, hell maybe the best in the east.

I just never bought into the idea of the single hook puglisi fibers streamers. I know they work. But I think a bucktail style tandem gives ya more action and a bigger profile in the water than there single counter part.

I guess everybody just has their preferences. I am always trying new patterns and creations. I think that is half the fun.

Yep your right I have seen some pics of Ramcatts toothy critter flys and fish. He knows his stuff. But you fish with what you have confidence in and mine just happen to be tandems.

i like tandems as well... as an extended platform for materials

but i have complete confidence in my singles (when i get a chance to fish them)

I caught my first musky on a 3/0 tandem about 6 inches long. They just keep gettin bigger and bigger. I got couple on triples now that are about 15 inches. But theres a trade off I'm not a strong enuff caster to get out much further than 35 to 40ft.

I'm no pro at it just enjoy it. Some days i catch them some days i don't. I'm just happy to be one of the very few that can say i have caught muskie on the fly.

that is one advantage to flies under 10"... casting distance

I have some Cortland Quick descent lines 125' lines (30ft & 15ft head) and can work up to about 120' out of a boat

Back