Hairwing Duns

zenherper

zenherper

I know it's an odd time to be asking about duns, however I was reading "Trout Flies: The Tiers Reference" and I like the hairwing dun ties. I enjoy tying up EHC flies and this looks like a nice alternative to tying the traditional Catskill style duns. The info provided in the book claims this to be a great substitute, and is seemingly a quicker easier tie than the catskill style. Does anybody have any experience either tying, or more importantly, fishing these?

I like hair wings because they are versatile. You can fish them for mayfly hatches or for a caddis hatch.

Hair is a LOT cheaper than hackles too. Especially after the "hair craze"

I started tying up some hair wings this year and they're pretty easy too. They sit lower like a parachute than your typical catskill though. That's the only main difference IMO.

I tie a lot of royal wulffs and a few other hair wing mayflies they work well. The biggest thing is they are more visible. Once the get wet though they take very long to dry out.

Thank you guys. This is as I suspected. I am still not very good at tying those little post wings, so I think I will tie up some of these hairwings, as I'm sure I will get through them much faster, at least until I get more proficient at those darn little wings.

post wings as in a parachute wing?

just cheat. find a cheap parachute tool and buy it. you'll reach a point where you won't need it anymore, but until then its a lifesaver.

optional, a dab of superglue at the post base.

gfen wrote:
post wings as in a parachute wing?

just cheat. find a cheap parachute tool and buy it. you'll reach a point where you won't need it anymore, but until then its a lifesaver.

optional, a dab of superglue at the post base.

I'm probably using the wrong terminology. I am referring to the upright and split wings tied on traditional catskill style, like those on an Adams.

However, since you mentioned it, what is a parachute tool?

its a tool used to tie parachutes.

basically, through one way or another a clip with a spring is suspended over where you tie the fly. Tie in the post, pull it up and clip it and spring tension will keep it tight while you wrap the post and make it secure.

btw, don't bother splitting the wings. fish don't care. just tie in your clump then a few wraps in front to push it back. oh, buy a calf tail. life is just easier that way.

zenherper wrote:
Thank you guys. This is as I suspected. I am still not very good at tying those little post wings, so I think I will tie up some of these hairwings, as I'm sure I will get through them much faster, at least until I get more proficient at those darn little wings.
Before you decide that you are not very good, try tying the sme pattern 10-12 times in the same sitting. Pay attention to your technique and notice what does or does not work. If at the end of that you still can't do it, then go buy a unitasker or cheat with a simpler method. Don't short change yourself and skip the opportunities to improve your technique.

Or go even an even shorter route and tie variants (aka wingless) or do what gfen said a just put a bunch of calf hair in taller then the hackle length. personally i normally either tie a parachute or variant. the variants are easier to tie for the tradational style flies and parachutes for slower water or a place where more detail is necessary.

A "proper" catskill requires hen hackle tips to create the wings, you don't split jack in so much as you tie in two seperate tips, one at a time.

Its alot of work, and alot of dead chicken feathers.

Start with tying a Wulff style hair wing fly.

Get a calf tail and a size 12 hook. Go big. You'll use these to float your silly little nymphs so don't worry that you'll never use a size 12 Royal MF Wulff. You will. You will see the light.

Take your clump of calf tail (trust me, use calf tail rather than whatever someone else tells you). Cut more than you think you need, flip out the short stuff, and stack quickly.

Tie it down midshank. Wrap wrap wrap.

Now you're at a point where you want your wing to be, right?

Pull it up and then back, and wrap wrap wrap a "thread dam" in front of it where you're pulling up, right up on the point where you've pulled it up and back. Let go of the pulled back wing and, biggity bam!, its held up in place (see, "thread dam").

You've made an unsplit wing. Lee Wulff said this was better, arguing with him is akin to aruging with a fat guy about the merits of MSG, so just shut up and do it.

Now wrap back and tie in your body. Enjoy.

When you've done that and you're satisfied with unsplit wings, try to split one. do the exact same thing, but split it fitty-fitty. Do some X-wraps between the split, going so far as to wrap AROUND half the split, each wing's base, a time or two to get a nicely defined wing. Remember to pull BACK on the wing while you wrap, it'll make it stand up.

I'd take a picture but I'm lazy and some super awesome net.hero will steal thunder by making a video, so just wait for that anyways. It'll be super-awesome so credit assuringly.

When you've got the calf tail wing, try it with mallard flank fibers.

To hell with hen hackle tip wings, too much effort and dead chicken feathers. Honestly, unsplit wings work just as well, remember fat guys and MSG.

Your then man Gary!

In a strictly textual sense, I like to evoke Zenherpes' mind to new places of magic though the Lord's messenger, the Royal Wulff.

I lead to Enlightenment of Fly one unwashed mass at a time.

Gfen- Just to let you know a lot is two words. Just saying.

gfen wrote:
its a tool used to tie parachutes.

I guess I set myself up for that...LOL. Thank you, both for the information, and for the entertainment. I'll take your advice. I did purchase a calf tail, and was planning to sit and work on the RW this weekend.

FT, thanks for the encouragement. I will certainly work on improving. I am just not there yet with the wings.

Back