Griffin Vices.

jayL

jayL

Anybody used one of these?

http://tinyurl.com/2wolc2

I have a cabela's gift card and I'm considering purchasing it.

I'm also looking at this:
http://tinyurl.com/286vew

I think I'd rather get the vice, so if anyone recommends it I will. Also, does it come with a pedestal base? I don't like the clamp on kind.

Jay,
I have that vice..minus the rotary...I like it ok. The wheel you tighten the jaws with slipped a little at first. I secured it and it works great...hold tiny dry hooks and big salt hooks very well.

I have this one and I like it..the one you are looking at is more for the same price as mine...couldn't have fished erie with out it...

either way you can't lose.

I have one of the Griffin Odyssey Spider vises. It's a bit cramped trying to get material onto small hooks. If you are using it as a rotary and have another vise for tying other flies it's ok. Mine came with only a C clamp so I don't know if it comes with a pedestal base.

After using it a while I bought a Regal with midge jaws for most of my tying. (Then later added a Griffen Mongoose for my rotary work.)

So I guess that all adds up to less than an endorsement for the vice. If you are on a tight budget and have another vise for tying small flies where you don't need a rotary function it's ok. But there are much better vices for both rotary work and small flies.

I have an old Griffin (17yrs?) I traded a renzetti for it. It isn't true rotary but does rotate. I am a heavy handed tyer and it suits my style well.

I don't see it on the K-bela site....here it is....I have the pedistal, Its a rock!

superior3ARP.jpg

Maurice

jayL,

Can't give much info on the vice, but I'm pretty sure you have one, so I would recommend a wading jacket. As tomgamber said, I have no idea how I fished the winter months(especially Erie) without one! I got mine a little big so that I can wear a fleece shirt under mine for those brutal days on the water.
Now that I think about this a little more. I just recently made an upgrade in my vice, went from the package cheapie to a Renzentti, and what a difference! So I guess one would have to ask, Do you tie more or fish more in the colder months?:-?

JH

Maurice wrote:
I have an old Griffin (17yrs?) I traded a renzetti for it. It isn't true rotary but does rotate. I am a heavy handed tyer and it suits my style well.

I don't see it on the K-bela site....here it is....I have the pedistal, Its a rock!

superior3ARP.jpg

Maurice

I just bought one of those for my travel fly tying kit. It's a Griffin Superior 3ARP. Fast replacing my Regal for daily tying. Bought mine from J Stockard.

I should also mention that I have the predecessor to that jacket. Have had it about three years and it's great. I got mine a size larger so I could layer underneither and use it on even the coldest february days. It has also seen duty on my boat during some real rough days during spring fishing.

Hm. As someone who is usually picky about spelling, I feel like an idiot. Ebay isn't turning up too much because I'm spelling it with a C and not an S.

I think I'm going to get the jacket and troll ebay for a viSe deal for a while before making a decision.

jayL wrote:
Hm. As someone who is usually picky about spelling, I feel like an idiot. Ebay isn't turning up too much because I'm spelling it with a C and not an S.

I think I'm going to get the jacket and troll ebay for a viSe deal for a while before making a decision.

You might notice I used both spellings in my original reply. I'm sure you will enjoy the jacket. BTW what vise are you currently using?

jayL,

Look at this way " It's a vise for a vice!!"

vise also vice (vīs) Pronunciation Key
n. A clamping device, usually consisting of two jaws closed or opened by a screw or lever, used in carpentry or metalworking to hold a piece in position.

or

vice
Pronunciation: 'vIs
Function: noun
: an abnormal behavior pattern in a domestic animal detrimental to its health or usefulness

JH

Hm. Guess it's probably the british or canadian spelling that I was using.

I'm currently using an old ten dollar double A. I think it's time for an upgrade. I'm looking at the danvise as well. I have no problem keeping the old one handy for travel.

I was kinda antsy to get a new vise before the long, cold winter... but I may be better off waiting until spring when I'll be moving to a (hopefully) larger pad, where I can have a dedicated tying station.

I don't fish that much in the winter, but I blame that on a lack of nearby trout streams and a lack of good outerwear. The latter will be fixed by the jacket.

I have the oddessy cam and love it. A big complaint that a lot of people have about griffins is how cramped they are, but I have never had a problem or lack of space. Then again, I have skeletor fingers.

I have that jacket, but mine is Gander Mt., but practically the same. I like it, although I only use it a few time a year.

I've used the mongoose for 3 yrs and love it. It came with a c-clamp and pedastal. I love the pedastal so much that I've never used the c-clamp. Its rock solid! Another big selling point for me was the carrying case. I need to be very mobile with my tying equip.

I tie with a Mongoose and really like it, though it is a bit cramped. Still, it is rock solid and the rotary feature is a serious turn on :-D , especially for larger flies. It's an incredibly smooth piece of machinary.
Coughlin

Jay with the new hours I think you need to upgrade to Renzetti Traveler I think that its the best bang for the buck under 200 dollars :-D

Fred,

That's the plan, now that I know I'll be able to afford it. :-D

What differences would you say are between the Peak Rotary and the Renzetti Traveler? Is one better than the other? Someone was telling me when it is time to upgrade that I should go with the peak. What do any of you think?

In my experience the qualities of a vise are very subjective and while I might seek inputs from others on good and bad points I'm not buying another vise unless I get some tying time wiht it.

Back