Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Grannoms

From Bozeman
I was unaware that spring creek had a grannom.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 16:20

The grannoms on spring are recent. They're moving further upstream every year. I'd heard reports the last few years, but today was the first time I actually saw them. There is no mistaking them. In a few years, its going to be a big time hatch.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 16:53

From State College PA
yes spring has had grannoms up to Lambs crossing for two years now. They come out on Spring about 5-7 days before penns and the Little J.
They came up from the lower bald eagle, which has tons of grannoms, probably second only to the the J. problem is, the LBE is closed to fishing when the grannoms come out- it is stocked water (ATW).
Theory is that once Mc coy dam (2007) was removed water quality improved.
The section below Mc Coy now has slates too and yes, i can confirm, a FEW green drakes. Saw two last year and the year before. Cross your fingers!

now before we get too juicy in our pants (sorry for that phrase), most people, including greg hoover, believe they will stop in bellefonte because of the park and dam

Posted on: 2011/4/11 17:38

Quote:
most people, including greg hoover, believe they will stop in bellefonte because of the park and dam

He's wrong. I saw them at FFP today.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 17:51

There have been Grannoms in lower Spring Creek, Bellefonte to mouth, at least since the late 1980s. I know that from direct experience. Whether they were there before that, I don't know.

And they were pretty heavy in those days, too. That was long before the dam removals.

Insects fly, so dams do not limit their range, because they can easily fly right past them.

There are a few Grannoms in Spring Creek from Bellefonte on upstream. I saw a couple at Fishermans Paradise this evening. But by a couple I mean literally two. I've never seen significant numbers above Bellefonte.

Greg Hoover told me several years ago that he found grannom larvae as far up as Rock Road (above Benner Springs), but not in large numbers.

The main reason there are far more Grannoms below Bellefonte than above, IMHO, is the large volume of spring water coming in from Logan Branch and the Big Spring.

Someone told me on Saturday that the Grannoms were on in lower Spring Creek. I fished it Sunday and the hatch was good. A friend of mine fished it today and said the hatch was very sparse today.

Since they've started here, they're probably starting on other streams, too. Or will be very, very soon.

OK, now yinz can tell us where Grannoms, or other good hatches, are hatching in the southern half of the state.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 21:16

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

OK, now yinz can tell us where Grannoms, or other good hatches, are hatching in the southern half of the state.

How would we know....we are all coming to Spring Creek!

Posted on: 2011/4/12 0:14

From State College PA
troutbert, didn't know the grannoms were there in significant numbers before removal of mcCoy. May be I missed them. I've only been in the area since 1997.
Perhaps it's a question of numbers and seeing them. It could also be that less people fished those sections before the dam was removed.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 7:53

From Enola, Pa.

Grannoms on SC, thats good to hear, I didn't think SC had grannoms.

Good info.

PaulG

Posted on: 2011/4/12 8:29

From Enola, Pa.
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

Moe

I heard they've been seen on YB. Now if it will only stop raining, we'd be able to go see for ourselves.

Paul

Posted on: 2011/4/12 8:35

Yesterday afternoon the footbridge and fisherman's paradise was literally covered in them. I was very surprised. I only saw a few others, but there were hundreds on that bridge.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 9:00

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

jayL wrote:
I don't haggle with the fish over it!

Well there is your problem!!!

Posted on: 2011/4/12 9:17

From State College PA
wow, at fishermans paradise! They are making it up the river.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 10:04

Quote:

nymphingmaniac wrote:
wow, at fishermans paradise! They are making it up the river.

Greg Hoover told me in 2005 that he had found some in Spring Creek up along Rock Road, which is above Benner Spring hatchery. That is a long way above Fishermans Paradise.

Maybe it's time to reintroduce the Green Drakes!

Posted on: 2011/4/12 16:21

Quote:

PaulG wrote:
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

Moe

I heard they've been seen on YB. Now if it will only stop raining, we'd be able to go see for ourselves.

Paul

There you have it! Grannoms on the Yellow Breeches! Soon to be followed by Hendricksons!

Now yinz don't have to burn gas driving way up to Centre County.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 16:24

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
The surest sign that spring is finally here is an emerging frenzy over news of grannoms hatching!

Tight lines to everyone this weekend.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 16:58

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com