Grannom Larvae

wbranch

wbranch

I've been told the Grannoms are emeerging on the LJ and prior to the emergence the fish key in on the Larvae and pupa. I saw this fly on a very popular fly tying web site. I tied a few this afternoon.

Hook - Mustad 9672 #14
Thread - Black 8/0 Uni
Underbody - One course of .015" lead wire
Case - One each grizzly, barred ginger, and dark brown hackle palmered to within 3/16" of eye.
Abdomen - Bright green chopped Antron
Head - Black Haretron

When you are done with the fly hold it in a pair of hackle pliers and trim the hackle square and tapered small towards the bend.

Attachments

• Grannon 3.JPG
    Grannon 3.JPG
    873 KB · Views: 8
  • Trimmed Grannom.jpg
    Trimmed Grannom.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 2
Really nice flies! They look great to me. The one thing I would say is that you should crimp you barbs..

I'd like to fish that fly. Nice work. I will be getting out at the end of this week for a few days with the grannoms. I will be trying to whip a few of these out for a test prior to my fishing.

InTheMend wrote:
Really nice flies! They look great to me. The one thing I would say is that you should crimp you barbs..

Pretty sure WB knows what he is doing.

Nice fly! I did well today swinging a simple partridge and peacock during the grannoms even though the bugs didn't pop today due to the cold.

Depending on temps the grannom adults usually start having fish rise to them starting around noon. The few hours before then are prime for patterns like the one above and swung wets.

Dear InTheMend,

"Really nice flies! They look great to me." Thanks for the compliment!

"The one thing I would say is that you should crimp you barbs.."

Some of us prefer to fish barbless and then there those of us who do not. I include myself in the latter group and have done so for over fifty-five years of fly fishing.

My contribution to fish mortality is miniscule using barbed hooks compared to the guys I see who dick around playing 15" trout for ten minutes and then have a ten minute photo op dragging the fish out of the water for the umpteenth time and then let the buddy hold the fish so he can get a picture too.

Matt,

Check out this thread from a few years back. The case is tied using pheasant tail.

Nice flies. Not saying they will not work for grannoms, but the grannom cases I have seen are much larger than a 14 2XL. Anyhow I like the pattern and have caught fish on it.

InTheMend wrote:

I don't fish barbless flies and I don't kill fish. Some people prefer barbed and some barbless. Nothing is wrong with either choice.

Good point on barbless hooks WBranch, but I might want to add to your argument that using barbless hooks will allow you to not even handle the fish at all. My fish usually fall off at my feet or are released at a long distance when I give them some slack line. No handling at all. No loss of their protective slime coat which is more of an issue than a small hole in their mouth. If you want to release a fish quickly, barbless is the way to go.

I only take pics of fish over 18", so naturally I don't take very many . . .

I like the flies.

CLSports,

" but I might want to add to your argument that using barbless hooks will allow you to not even handle the fish at all."

Yes, I would agree that this is often true. I do though like to see, and admire, the larger fish that I'm fortunate enough to land. I have a Brodin "Ghost" net with a very large opening. The clear rubber bag material is said to be much more gentle on the fish and does not remove the mucous on the fish's skin.

Attachments

• Brown & Brodin.JPG
    Brown & Brodin.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1
Let me throw this in here........I don't think it matters if you crimp the barbs down or not. If it's an experienced angler they know how to release the fish alive and unharmed whether the barbs are crimped or not. I crimp mine down first , before i tie the fly , it's easy to do right in the vise. There is not much more frustrating than having the hook break while trying to bend the barbs over with pliers or forceps. If you do it in the vise before you tie the fly if anything is gonna snap it will happen before you go to all the trouble of tying a fly only to have it break off onstream.

shortrod wrote:
Nice flies. Not saying they will not work for grannoms, but the grannom cases I have seen are much larger than a 14 2XL. Anyhow I like the pattern and have caught fish on it.

agreed, I use a similar pattern tied with a black tungsten bead head for grannoms, and I generally tie these on TMC200R's in the 8-10 range.

Wbranch,

Did you get the chance to field test them? If so, were they effective?

Luke

mcwillja wrote:
InTheMend wrote:

I don't fish barbless flies and I don't kill fish. Some people prefer barbed and some barbless. Nothing is wrong with either choice.

I disagree. You may not think you kill fish. Just because the fish swims away does not mean it lives. There is a certain amount of mortality with catch and release fishing regardless of using barbless vs. barbed hooks. However, there is no question barbed hooks have higher mortality.

Barbed vs. Barbless

Nothing is wrong with either choice as long as one is okay with the effects of your choice.

Back