Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Good starter patterns

From Bozeman
I started out tying hideous pheasant tails, green weenies, zebra midges, and deer hair caddis (with unstacked, uncombed wings that were full of under fur and rotated around the hook. Also, trimmed hair tips, because the concept of stacking was beyond me).

Posted on: 2012/1/31 13:45

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

jayL wrote:
I started out tying hideous pheasant tails, green weenies, zebra midges, and deer hair caddis (with unstacked, uncombed wings that were full of under fur and rotated around the hook. Also, trimmed hair tips, because the concept of stacking was beyond me).

And I'm sure all of those flies caught fish for you.

End Result: fish all flies with confidence.

Posted on: 2012/1/31 13:50

From Bozeman
They fell apart pretty easily, but yeah, they did. The caddis worked especially well immediately before they came undone, which hammers home the point that sparse is better in most situations.

As to the trimmed wing tips, I doubt it matters at all, but I'll be damned if I'll throw trimmed hair wings in my box these days.

Posted on: 2012/1/31 13:52

From philadelphia
i think soft hackles are the easiest/most effective ratio winner.

however,i am a big proponent of learning to tye whatever fly you use the most.especially if it is unlikely that married wings and full dress salmon flies are the flies you use the most,haha

you can catch a lot of fish with a peacock body and ANY hackle.(hen,rooster,partridge,starling etc.)fished wet or dry

also,since you already know how to tye buggers,i might suggest a wooly worm.a time honored killer!

a pheasant tail soft hackle,with or without a tail is a good fly too.

good luck!!!

Posted on: 2012/1/31 15:38

From Butler Co. PA
Thanks for all the recomendations. I am starting to get the basics down tight and I've now got a pretty strong wooly bugger and pheasent tail in my repertoire. The rest of the suggested flies are going to keep me busy for a while.

Thanks, ryguyfi, for pointing out to wrap the copper wire the opposite way on the pheasent tails. Made a world of difference.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 14:55

From LV
I started tying with 2 flies, a gold ribbed hares ear, which is fairly easy, and a pheasant tail. Both are nymphs and are prettymuch the easiest flies to tie., I then went to a woolly bugger. Which is another pretty easy tie. Then I tried some caddis, which are fairly easy dry flies to tie. I suppose a green inch worm would be even easier than those flies.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 18:35

From LV
I don't get the peacock herl on a pheasant tail nymph, but trout love peacock herl so I wouldn't object. But a pheasant tail nymph uses only pheasant tail material except for the wire.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 18:46

From Bozeman
The original sawyer pheasant tail has no peacock, but the pattern has kind of evolved to include it. I would say that a pheasant tail has herl according to most American fly fishermen. I consider it an upgrade.

Just as thorax duns used to have crossed hackles, and now it is just moved back a bit and trimmed. The default version of a fly pattern changes fairly often.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 14:22

From Montgomery County
To answer the original question, any pattern that you intend to fish with. Stay away from dries if you don't fish them much... same goes for streamers or nymphs. Starting out easy isn't always the best way to go about things... IMO, the more your challanged, the quicker you learn or adapt.

Now, if only I could apply that same philosphy to life I might be earning 6 figures a year and maintaining a lean 165lb frame:) Instead, I drink beer, eat bad food, fish, hunt, play video games, watch sports and waste time on the internet.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 15:32

From pittsburgh
i would go with a cdc and elk (its not really elk its coastal deer hair ) but its a simple fly and a fish catching machine id do it is sizes from 12 to 16 maybe even 18 awesome fly

Posted on: 2012/2/6 20:00

-me

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
first fly I learned was a latex caddis larva with a black ostrich herl for head..It still works for me now after 40+ years. simple to tie.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 6:00

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com