Go to/attractor nymphs

guppieguy

guppieguy

I know this has probably been discussed a lot so just shut me up if I'm beating a dead horse here.....

What are some of your favorite go-to nymphs? I'm new to tying and looking to fill a box with proven nymph patterns. So far I have the GRHR, PT, Stonefly, prince nymph, copper John. I need one more fly to fill up my box of "attractor" nymphs. Any suggestions? I'll have another box for midges/larvae/etc.

Green Weenie, Zug Bug, San Juan Worm,Walt's Worm

I second the Walt's Worm. On a lot of streams around my area I usually tie one on first thing. There's not many times it doesn't produce. Another plus is that there's endless variations for it. Whatever your mind can think up.

Hey Mario66,

I have a t-shirt that has your quote on it. I love that shirt. haha.

Did you know that back in the 1700's everyone drank beer in Philly, even kids because the water was so polluted it made everyone sick.

Carry on....

I do remember reading that somewhere, I also read the quote may have been about wine and people substituted beer, so who knows. I couldn't imagine how dirty the Schuylkill and Delaware were back then.

My go to is a mink beadhead size 14, unless there is something specific going on I tie it on first.

I would add a Walt's worm or a Triple threat nymph.

what exactly is the walts worm imitating? or does it just look tasty? im intrigued

Pheasant tail dropper with copperjohn point.

I have luck with my "stockie killer" Larva lace prince nymph.

I can pm you a recipe if you would like on that fly as well. Pretty easy to tie and deadly on fresh stocked fish.

what exactly is the walts worm imitating? or does it just look tasty? im intrigued

It's suppose to be a crane fly larvae, but it also looks fairly generic, IMO. But it's tied in the round, which I think is the most important aspect of it.

I've always had a lot success with nymphs tied in the round, or that are very subtly asymmetrical. When nymphs tumble in the current I think they stay more upright then we give them credit for. I feel like it's harder to distinguish a fly that is tumbling incorrectly when it's tied in the round, as oppose to when it has a fancy wing case, legs, weaveing, etc.

mike, that would be awesome.

I might give the walts worm a try..looks super easy to tie.

Just a few pictures of the "stockie killer" vinyl rib prince nymph pattern.

that ribbing comes in a million different colors and can easily take on a different look by changing your thread color.

Attachments

• stockie killers.jpg
    stockie killers.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 4
  • stockiekillerorder.jpg
    stockiekillerorder.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 6
The red with gold bead is my go to fly on stockies besides my favorit pheasant tails. The all red never got to hit the water yet, I imagine it will slam them in the evening since red is the last color seen by trout before their eyes go to night vision

Walts Worm makes a good sow bug imitation for spring creeks

Probably mentioned in the past regarding the WW: Especially underwater fish including trout take all kinds of things into their mouths that come to them via the drift just in case it's got nutritional value. If it doesn't, they spit it back out. The walt's worm in various sizes and degrees of bulkiness looks like quite a few things we know and probably quite a few we don't. It also has little in the way of spook factor since there is no flash and nothing about it hampers natural drift.

Honey Bugs !

mario66pens wrote:
Walts Worm makes a good sow bug imitation for spring creeks

That's true, in the smaller sizes.

In the larger sizes they look like crane fly larvae, and that is what Walt Young, the originator had in mind.

But they also look like mayfly nymphs, caddis larvae, and baby crayfish, that someone STEPPED ON.

Tie some with a bead (brass, copper, or gold. not silver). The beadhead version is a terrific fly when the water is up and off color.

sandfly wrote:
Honey Bugs !

A somewhat forgotten fly. I never got into fishing them, but I had friends who murdered them on honey bugs.

I'll have to stop by your shop and pick up some. They'll go well with my newly begotten Fenwick Feralite.

sandfly wrote:
Honey Bugs !

A somewhat forgotten fly. I never got into fishing them, but I had friends who murdered them on honey bugs.

I'll have to stop by your shop and pick up some material. They'll go well with my newly begotten Fenwick Feralite.

What specifically is the ribbing on those prince nymphs?

Back