Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Gaining Skill

From Clearfield County
I've been tying for about a month now. Here's the first one I made that was decent enough to share on the forum. I know it's not top quality, but its a far cry from where I started.

It's meant to imitate a bug (?) I saw on my local stream today.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_20130609_215410.jpg (77.19 KB)
7139_51b533c170300.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/6/9 22:03

Re: Gaining Skill

From Clearfield County
Another angle.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_20130609_221349.jpg (72.61 KB)
7139_51b536e189d51.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/6/9 22:16

From Souderton PA
It is good to see that you are tying, and are thinking creatively about your flies. But one month is probably too soon to be developing new patterns. I suggest picking some standard patterns that you know work on the streams you fish. Keep tying them until they are consistent and look like pictures you see on the net, or better like samples you got from the fly shop. I know its boring, but it is the only way I know to master the basic fundamentals, and that gives you the tools to be creative.
Keep tying,
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 21:33

From Gettysburg
Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:
It is good to see that you are tying, and are thinking creatively about your flies. But one month is probably too soon to be developing new patterns. I suggest picking some standard patterns that you know work on the streams you fish. Keep tying them until they are consistent and look like pictures you see on the net, or better like samples you got from the fly shop. I know its boring, but it is the only way I know to master the basic fundamentals, and that gives you the tools to be creative.
Keep tying,
Mike.

Some good advice here.

Nice tie nevertheless - have fun and keep at it.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 21:57

From Clearfield County
Mike-

Thanks for the advice. I agree that you need learn to walk before you can run. As you know its really expensive to get started. I dropped over $30 to make some woolly buggers.

Delta D recommended I go to Elk Hair Caddis next so I thought about buying the Cabellas Gunnison Fly Tying Materials Kit for $25. Seems like a good deal for what it comes with. Any thoughts or recommendations on a different kit?

I just got a copy of The Art Of Fly Tying. It has some really good stuff in it.

Thanks Again.

Launce

Posted on: 2013/6/11 9:39

From Souderton PA
Launce,
Kits can be hit or miss, and almost always have lousy hackle. I think they can be good for beginners that need tools because you can get by with most of the tools. I still use a kit hair stacker that is about 15 years old. But trying to learn to tie with bad material puts you at a disadvantage. Fortunately, most material is pretty inexpensive if you stay away from hackle, and there are a lot of no hackle patterns that fish as well if not better. For example, the elk hair caddis is a great suggestion, but a pack of cdc and a patch of elk hair will cost less than $10 and allow you to tie a lot of cdc and elk caddis. Throw in a $3 pack of rabbit dubbing and you can tie the mouse caddis (look for Davy McPhail's youtube video, he uses mink, but rabbit works and it is a killer pattern).
That's my general opinion. The kit you are looking at looks like it has a nice variety and the included patterns look like they would be useful. So I guess you could do worse if you decide to go that route.
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 21:14

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com