Flys to tie.

Jessed

Jessed

Anyone have any flys they'd like to recommend to me? I've tie up everything I want but my box still seems empty. What patterns do you guys like fishing?

What have you tied so far?

If you haven't done so already, tie some LaFontaine caddis pupa emergers.

Thanks skook! Do you fish those like a traditional nymph or like a wet fly?

Either deer hair or cdc comparaduns. For some reason, people are so quick to tie on a high floating catskill dry, instead of this less, low riding, not particularly elegant fly. In a pinch, they are passable as caddis if you crank the wing back a bit.

Jessed wrote:
Anyone have any flys they'd like to recommend to me? I've tie up everything I want but my box still seems empty. What patterns do you guys like fishing?

Are you focused on trout, or do you plan to fish for other species?

If you're mainly focused on trout and haven't already tied up some terrestrials, stock up on them. I particularly like foam beetles and use them frequently for trout, especially in the summer and fall.

Good suggestion Dave! and yes! Trout!

+1 on Dave's suggestion of the terrestrials. Along that same line trout love ants. Wet or dry, tied in a wide array of styles with many different materials. Be creative!

Jessed wrote:

There's a lot to cover to make up a well stocked fly box. Here are some ideas:

Tie up plenty of wooly bugger buggers and some streamer patterns.

For nymphs make sure you have hares ears and pheasant tails and a few stonefly patterns in lighter and darker colors.

Dries, depending on where and when you fish, the two most prolific mayfly hatches are BWO's and suplhers. Have plenty of them. The generic adams pattern is always a good choice too.

Don't forget about caddis dries and pupa patterns with some larva and emerger thrown in.

Dry and zebra midges are needed in every box, and maybe tricos for later in the season.

As well, terrestrials like beetles and ants will be flies to carry.

Those are the basics above. Check the hatch charts an tie up some hatch matchers for the flies you are likely to encounter on the streams you fish.

Empty box....you may have to buy another one!....:oops:

So my favorites. For streamers slumpbusters. wooly buggers and some mohair leeches. My favorite colors are black, white, brown, olive.

Nymphs if you haven't tied any yet are pheasant tails, hare ear, walts worm and vinyl rib caddis larva. It never hurts to have a few zebra midges around as well.

I think the list of flies here is a great place to start. Still working on tying some of the list, but it seems to be a good baseline for a working box.

Along with everything else that's been suggested.

Jessed wrote:
Thanks skook! Do you fish those like a traditional nymph or like a wet fly?

Yes....

Dead-drifting works, as does fishing the emerger on a dry-dropper rig. Swinging works too. In my experience, there really is no wrong way to fish it.

Here is a good article on Lafontaine's Deep Sparkle Pupa and Emergent Sparkle Pupa:

Gink + Gasoline

IIRC, Performance Flies is supposed to carry some of the remaining original Lafontaine sparkle yarn and maybe the original dubbing, too.

Some egg patterns and crystal meths.

Pats rubber legs. It is such a simple fly, but fish seem to love it, especially where big golden stones are present.

Tan RS2 size 18
Sexy Walt's worm size 18
BWO nymph size 16
Tan WD40 size 18

Black fur ants - great dry, even better fished wet

YouTube has tying videos on every one.

Guides choice hares ear
Prince nymph
Green weenie
Pheasant tail/ or with flashback
Walts worm
Hares ear
Picket pin
20 incher stone
Zebra midge-don't be scared to fish them
Golden stone-pick a simple pattern
Sow bug
Green rock worm
Pink San Juan
Sucker spawn

Keep it simple and subsurface and go catch fish

I've never had luck fishing with zebra midges! I'll give them another try though thanks!

I don't think you can have too many soft hackles with a peacock herl body

No matter the hackle . Black brown or grizzlyhen,partridge ,starling etc.

Back