Fly Tying Parachute Sulphur

gaeronf

gaeronf

I guess it's a little early to be fishing these, but never too early to tie them. Here's an instructional video. I learned this pattern, along with some neat tricks in it, from another video. Try to enjoy it. Any tips for me as far as editing/shooting the video would be great :)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyHe10uCgX8&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Also, not saying you have to, but you can watch in HD if you watch it on the actual Youtube site.

Nice Vid! Nice tie!

Gaeron, The crotchy old man in me that used to walk uphill both ways to school wants to ask you if you lost your whip finisher :)
Nicely done!
Mike.

Haha! I learned that superglue trick from another video, and found that it worked quite well. It also enabled me to tie the hackle off on the post, and then not have a tremendous build-up of thread on the post/eye. It also allows for a perfectly clear eye, which, we all want. But the answer to your question is, the whip-finisher is probably somewhere under my mess of materials and trimmings :D

Nice looking fly, you mention in your video about wrapping the hackle under side up or down...what's the benefit to either way? Is there a "correct" way?

dull side up the hackle will have upword curvature and sometimes less of the fibers get caught .personally whichever direction it is when i tie it in is the direction that is good enough for me as i always have some trimming to do

Yes. That's pretty much it. The hackle with the dull side down will curve down and vise versa. People will probably debate this, but like quillfly, i dont see a difference.

Don't these young whipper snappers know you're supposed to tie knots and get everything all tangled up in the process? Nice job on the vid. Good info through the tie no dead space, when you showed the kind of dub you were using it was real close and quick , other than that you did a real nice job. I like the direction you have the camera as well, most other vids face the tyer and you end up watching the tying process backwards.

gaeron,

Nice job with the video.

I use a slightly different method for parachutes that was taught to me by a tyer/guide a long time ago a Blue Ribbon flies in West Yellowstone.

Tie in the post, tail and dub the body as shown in your vid, except complete the fly by dubbing the thorax completely, and whip finish at the eye. The fly is complete, but without hackle.

Turn the fly 90 degrees in the vise making the hook shank vertical with the eye up (eye up gives you more room to work). Most tyers find it's much easier to wrap the hackle and whip finish vertically, rather than horizontally.

Tie in your hackle to the post and wrap back with your thread positioned closest to the body. Trim tag end of the hackle stem.

Wrap the hackle down the post winding towards the body. Add a dab of Zap-A-Gap or head cement to the end of the thread and whip finish. Trim remaining hackle feather and thread.

That's it.

you guys ever use closed cell foam(the stuff that you get in items shipped) its in like sheets for posts?
gaeron what the you tube link for some reason i cant see the video here

Gaeron - One thing that would concern me is that not all super glues are waterproof. Zap-a-Gap is, but I don't think Loctite or Krazy glue is.

Toss one in a cup of water for a couple of hours, and let us know if the hackle unwinds.....

I tie my parachutes off on the post, and use Danville Spiderweb. It works great down to size 20's, or so.

FrequentTyer wrote:
Gaeron, The crotchy old man in me that used to walk uphill both ways to school wants to ask you if you lost your whip finisher :)

Well, the crotchety old man in me would like to ask why you would need a whip finisher? I've personally never used one.

The dubbing was a mix between hareline dubbin yellow and orange synthetic. It gives you a really nice "general" (because not all bugs on all streams are the same color) for sulphurs.

flipnfly-I've tried doing that. Looping the foam and posting that up...but ehh I like the other way better. The link is:
Link

HA-I'll have to try that. That's a valid point, I'll get back to you on that.

Afish-Thats pretty unique and I know some people that do it that way. IMO, it is a lot of fiddling for me.

sniperfreak223- Sometimes I use a whipfinisher, sometimes I don't. It's typically how much stuff is on top of the whip finisher and whether or not I'm doing a dubbing whip.

sniperfreak223 wrote:
FrequentTyer wrote:

Well, the crotchety old man in me would like to ask why you would need a whip finisher? I've personally never used one.

Congrats Sniper! You win the Crotchiest award :)

Gaeron, thanks for posting the video. It was very well done and informative.

Using the methodology detailed in the video, I tied several parachute flies. I found;
1.The technique is easy and fast
2.The visual appearance of my ties was improved and consistent.

I did slightly alter the methodology.
1. Immediately after the post, tied in the hackle (running parallel to the shank and in the direction of the eye). This permitted completely dubbing the fly (twist the hackle in the direction of the hook when dubbing ahead of the post) prior to wrapping the hackle. I did not superglue the post until wrapping the hackle
2. Used Leroy Hyatt’s technique (http://www.kwsu.org/Offers/FlyTying.aspx season 4 episode 404) to tie in the hackle.

With these minor alterations, I was able to successfully tie size 20 parachutes.

Before reading this post, I had assumed all super glues were water soluble. Thanks to Heritage-angler for adding this to
the discussion.

Back