Fly Tying Kits?

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

I want to start tying again (for real this time!). I gave it a brief shot when I was in middle school, after I made a vise in shop class. So I broke out my old shoe box of fly tying materials. The vise is pretty much worthless because it can barely hold a hook. I have one bobin a few spools of thread, one hackle (From 1989) and some peacock feathers... I think I just need to start from scratch! What do you think of buying a fly tying kit? Are they worth it for getting started, or should I buy all the things I need indivdually? Any help and sugguestions would be appreciated.

In short - no.
A kit will likley give you another cheap vice, and tying materiels that you'll likley never use.
If you're ready to get serious about tying, start off with a decent vice.
Then you'll be able to figure out what kind of tying materiels you really need as you go along

I bet many people who say "don't buy kits" were told the same thing, and did it anyways.

I was.

The people who told me to not buy a kit? 100% right. On the other hand, when you're looking at endless rows of crap, it just seems like a good idea to take the easy way out.

(reposting begins below)
So, here's the deal. You need like a handful of basic tools from an actual fly shop. Two of these are optional, but just save yourself the effort and buy them.

Bobbin: The thing that you run the thread through. Buy a ceramic one. Yes it costs more, yes its worth it. You're new, right? Give yourself every advantage.
Scissors: Buy a nice set, if you can. Dr. Slick tends to be very well regarded and can be found cheap enough.
Hackle pliers: There's about a billion different styles. You'll have one of each eventually. I think the English style are probably most versatile. You can buy those electric clips at Radio Shack, but you won't. Or, you will, and hate it. Buy an English style to start, I like the smaller ones. That's just me.
Dubbing needle: You could make your own, but spend the $4. Its nicer. Trust me. Solid heft, pokey, doesn't roll. Its a simple pleasure.
Whip finisher: There's two kinds, the Materelli and the who-cares-because-it-sucks-unless-you're-an-old-dude. You could learn to whip tie with your fingers, but again, why make the learning curve steeper?
Hair stacker: Depending on your flies of choice, maybe not neccessary.

OK, so that's the low end stuff, the other thing is the big one time investment, a vise. Spend as much as you want, but you can go cheap. The real cheap jobs, the $20 kind,

are devoid of all real frills but totally work. Some guys use the **** out of these, and its all you really need to tie really, really nice flies. Also, they're cheap. It might wear out before a fancy vise, but who cares? Its like $20!

One feature you might want is "rotary." You spin it on an axis. Some people get into this, some people just use it to look at the other side of flies, some people don't care. Whatever. You can find decent rotary vises for like $75-80 now.

Finally, materials? Seriously pick some patterns you'll fish alot, and go to town buying just those materials. Spend some time researching before you goto the store and get some just generic stuff. This is where the kit is nice, you get a pile of stuff, but it really is cheap. Over sized, poor quality, whatever. I used about 60% of the materials in the kit, some I could justify, and some was just crap I'll never use.

I didn't need most of the crap I've bought, but its been fun. I could've done it for nothing. I dunno. Your wallet, spend as much as you don't want.
(end reposting from here)

FWIW -
I took a fly tying class when I started out, and my instructor told us right off the bat - DON'T BUY A KIT.
I did listen to him, and still it's great advice

Agree with above...Don't buy a kit. I would highly recommend visiting your local shop and asking for help. Anyone with decent knowledge would be able to walk you through tools, materials, etc...Having the right equipment, nice materials and a good set-up will help in your learning and make it more enjoyable. Most shops would be happy to spend some time with you, I would think. They would probably get a customer for life. I did this and had an "after-hours" appointment, which was great.

Might even be able to get a fellow member to help you out.

Thanks guys. I will steer away from the kits. Great list Gfen! Thanks.

hey man, i went to http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/OF-902100-0000/86000/J.-Stockard-Economy-Fly-Tying-Vise-&-Tool-Kit.html
and i got that kit and it holds a size 24 trico tightly, i would get it again in a heartbeat if you have any questions message me.

gfen hit it right on the money. if you have the cash i would reccommend getting a regal vise in my eyes they are the best. cheap vises will work but regals are a joy to tie on. everyone else is right never buy a kit.

gfen wrote:
One feature you might want is "rotary." You spin it on an axis. Some people get into this, some people just use it to look at the other side of flies, some people don't care. Whatever. You can find decent rotary vises for like $75-80 now.

:-o (performing self-CPR).

FWIW - I agree with gfenny 100% (Am I going to die?)

troutmagnet - that looks like one heck of a deal. Folks that advise against a kit are usually referring to ones that include tying materials. A nice basic tool kit can always serve double duty as a portable, or travel kit, for when you don't want to cart along your expensive stuff. Money well spent, IMHO.

yeah i got it and first thing was but a size 24 trico that gotta beaten up and wrapped thread on it and it held it very tight and i tied over 100 flies in a week and it holds up well, and the bobbins are good and dont snap your thread.

I love my regals, and I still so no to the kits. Even the stockard kit. The problem with tool kits is you get cheap low quality tools. If you have the money, skip any kind of kit.

Johnny - A vise is a very personal choice. Some like Regals, others don't (I think they suck - and yes, I own one - it was a gift). I prefer my Renzetti, HMH, and Dynaking over my Regal, any day.

Rather than making a bad choice on an expensive vise, it might be a better idea to invest $27 on that kit, and figure out what you want down the line. If you have something to work with, you'll have a better idea what features you may want in a vise.

Cheap bobbins can be used for lead/wire/spooled materials. Cheap scissors belong on everyone's bench for cutting things that'll dull your good ones. The bodkin, threader, whip finisher, and hackle pliers are fine. The cheap vise can be used to dry epoxy or head cement on completed flies. Heck, it'll even make a great paperweight, just like my Regal. :lol:

Everything in that kit is usable and functional. Nobody says that it has to be the only tools you ever own, but for $27, it's certainly worth it, and will buy you time to figure out what tools you prefer.

yeah i am probably gonna get a regal for x mas but i wanted to start and all the tools work fine for me and i needed somewhere to start.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
(I think they suck - and yes, I own one - it was a gift).

You suck!

However, I wouldn't advocate buying a Renzetti, Regal or any vise that costs made cash unless you're sure you want to do this. A $20 vise is a fine investment to decide if you care or not.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Rather than making a bad choice on an expensive vise, it might be a better idea to invest $27 on that kit, and figure out what you want down the line. If you have something to work with, you'll have a better idea what features you may want in a vise.

Agreed. Perhaps I should update my cut-and-paste fodder to say so, I don't know the Stockard kit, but I've seen the Cabela's kit in the little wooden case, and I find it quite nice actually. I've used all of the tools that came in my crap kit. The Thompson whipfinisher sucked, so I updted that, but everything else has been pretty sweet.

FWIW, my original $20 vise and not-so-nice tools were my travel kit.

gfen wrote:
Heritage-Angler wrote:
(I think they suck - and yes, I own one - it was a gift).
You suck!

How so? Just because I got tired of my Regal spitting hooks across the room?

Relax - there's lots of folks that drink the Regal Kool-Aid. I just prefer a fine wine with an Italian name. ;-)

I guess when you own a bulldog, you have to expect it to poop on the carpet every now and then.

I've never had it spit a hook, I do find fault with big hooks and it, though.

I don't know if a newbie should shell out $160 for a regal - but I do really like mine, and think it's well worth that cost to me.
And I have lost a few small hooks that got spit out to who knows where.
But it's advantages far out weight that minor problem IMO.
No farting around adjusting cams for every hook size change.
And if the hook is set in it right, the hold is fanastic.

Fen - my regal, with the midge jaws - has a recess towards the back of the jaws for larger hooks. If they're placed in properly, I've never had a problem. Even tied some #8's with those small jaws

#8 is not 5/0. ;-)

I've got the stainless, IIRC they're good to 4 easy, and I think 2 will fit in but makes me wonder if it should.

The Stockard kit is tempting. For that price I could see doing it.

I'm looking at this vice. It's rotary and looks like it can do a wide variety of hook sizes. http://store.hookhack.com/Super-II-Rotary-Vise/productinfo/9408103/ Has anyone used this vice? I'm definetly leaning toward using a rotary vise...although I've never used one, it just seems like a feature I would want to use.

Back