Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Fly Tying Contests?

From Chalfont PA
Thank you for the feedback. So far no real throw down negativity on this.

Posted on: 12/15 18:18
www.flytyingtips.com

From Monessen, PA
I hope you didn't post this to hope someone would offer "throw down negativity."

Posted on: 12/15 19:50
"He was despised and rejected by mankind, a man of suffering, and familiar with pain. Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem. Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering."

-- Isaiah 53:3-4 NIV

From Gettysburg
Quote:

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
I guard my actual fishing flies pretty jealously.

I guard some of mine too.

Posted on: 12/15 20:25

From Gettysburg
Jerry,
I'm fine with tying contests.

Cumberland Valley TU used to sponsor the state fly tying championship during the Sports and Outdoor Show. This was a fun event and attracted some real talent.

Keep us informed. Good luck with your project.

Posted on: 12/15 20:27

From New Castle, PA
I'm not into contests that rely on subjective judgement to determine winners.

If there was a way to score fly tying objectively you might get my attention.

Posted on: 12/15 20:44

From Erie Co.
"But you wouldn't flame post one if it was posted, correct?"
Yes, correct. I would love to see the photos.

Posted on: 12/16 1:13

From Chalfont PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
I hope you didn't post this to hope someone would offer "throw down negativity."

No Jack I didn't post this to get any "throw down negativity".

I posted this to get objective feedback. I have seen a few posts in this forum that could be considered flame throwing responses.

I have received many positive and informative responses. The responses against were good also.

With running a program that could be consider not favorable could end up ruining the club/organization. So as the Chairman of the FTG I look for feedback before going forward with a program.

Thank everyone for the feedback and the FFI FTG Fly Tying Group will consider all responses as we decide to go further with this program.

Posted on: 12/16 6:43
www.flytyingtips.com

From SE Pa
I'm being nice here! I don't consider fly tying a sport or art and would never frame a fly or hang one on a wall. I think most feel this way.

I recognize a minority of Tyers would love a good contest wether it be out of vanity, acclaim or nothing better to do so why not provide them a forum.

I could see where a contest such as this could ruin a club. The real question should be how to keep the judging objective. I think it's fair to say that some people get weak in the knees just mentioning "famous" tyers. I think those interested in tying contests are these types and are looking for their own notoriety. Could create lots of unneeded tension without an objective judging system.

Posted on: 12/16 9:08

camaraderie

Goodwill and lighthearted rapport between or among friends; comradeship.

--------------------------------

Having a contest among your club members could be divisive.

You could lose your camaraderie.

Not everything needs to be turned into a competition.

Posted on: 12/16 9:16

From Gettysburg
Quote:

poopdeck wrote:
I don't consider fly tying a sport or art and would never frame a fly or hang one on a wall. I think most feel this way.

Interesting - I certainly don't feel this way.

Why anyone who ties wouldn't think of it as an art form (or at least a craft) seems odd to me. I have flies hanging on the walls and all over my home office.

Judging would need some subjective quality like any art competition. Tiers working the same pattern would need a time limit and flies could be presented to the judges anonomously so that favoritism could be avoided.

Posted on: 12/16 9:28

From Pittsburgh
No interest from me in a fly tying contest. ( or fishing competition either). But I have no problem with people who like doing it.
I've even met a few folks who enjoy tying more than fishing

I have tried - and fished with - many elaborate patterns over the years. With high hopes of finally coming up with a "killer" pattern that just takes fish left and right.
And usually, their performance fell well short of expectations.

And though I'm still willing to try something new, I've pretty much settled into tying mostly old tried and try patterns. ( that are usually quite simple to tie.)

FWIW - I've probably caught more fish on a crowe beetle, that anything else I've used

Posted on: 12/16 10:12

From Chester County
Quote:

poopdeck wrote:
I'm being nice here! I don't consider fly tying a sport or art and would never frame a fly or hang one on a wall. I think most feel this way.

I recognize a minority of Tyers would love a good contest wether it be out of vanity, acclaim or nothing better to do so why not provide them a forum.

I could see where a contest such as this could ruin a club. The real question should be how to keep the judging objective. I think it's fair to say that some people get weak in the knees just mentioning "famous" tyers. I think those interested in tying contests are these types and are looking for their own notoriety. Could create lots of unneeded tension without an objective judging system.

I would venture to say most people consider flies like the classic salmon flies as art. The same could be said about the masters that make some of the ornate bamboo rods.

I truly admire the people with the skill and talent to produce such works of art.

Attach file:

jpg  Classic-salmon-fly.-Traherne-flies-tied-by-the-writer.jpg (60.43 KB)
53_5a353d8eeef9f.jpg 629X399 px

jpg  Classic-salmon-fly.-Yellow-Butterfly.jpg (77.09 KB)
53_5a353dc3ca18f.jpg 629X399 px

jpg  rod_detail.jpg (51.09 KB)
53_5a353dd233a8c.jpg 630X473 px

jpg  Classic-salmon-fly.-Antonys-Queen.jpg (107.35 KB)
53_5a353eab80570.jpg 629X399 px

Posted on: 12/16 10:40

Quote:

poopdeck wrote:

I agree with everything you say about the competition. I don't think it's a good idea.

But I don't agree about the art part. Which is a totally different question from the competition issue.

I love seeing really superb flies. And framing them makes perfect sense to me. It displays them well for viewing and preserves them.

Posted on: 12/16 10:59

From Erie Co.
Now that is what i am talking about ,photos like these. I know i could not tie this well, but they are so pleasing to look at.
The skill level is vastly higher than my tying level?

Posted on: 12/16 11:08

From SE Pa
Just to clarify the art part of my comment. I don't see it as art but I recognize that some do. Not saying I'm right or wrong it's just how I view it. I mentioned it just so the OP knew the basis of my opinion on the subject.

I once went to an art show featuring art made from plastic bottles. Every exhibit looked like a pile of trash to me but some viewed it as art even though it was obviously glued together trash.

Posted on: 12/16 13:00

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com