Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fly Patterns: Replicate or Create

Interesting to me is the number of patterns that don't imitate any particular insect, and the variety of many patterns. I thought there would be more exact insect imitation and strict adhering to materials.

Posted on: 1/17 21:24

From Chester County
I found a great article written by a guy that creates his fly patterns based on his observation of the insects.

Really some interesting observations and info we can use for creating our own flies. Dubbing colors wet vs dry. And very important, focus on the belly not the back, especially when tying dries.

Matching the Hatch

Posted on: 1/18 8:47

From cambria county
The only thing anymore is that if you think you created a new pattern, someone else already has, or will say that you can't name your pattern something because it is too close to something that is out there. LOL

When I started There really wasn't youtube videos like there are now, or many online resources. I didn't have time to go to the library. LOL I would just slap all kinds of stuff together, and try to make it work. It was quite sometime before I began to tie something that I could catch fish with. And the only reason why was because I picked a certain pattern, BHPT, and tied them until I got it down.

I think another fly with new tyers is that they set out to take over the world and try a ton of different patterns. Best to just stick to a few standard go toos and learn those processes.

I try to help out a lot of people learn to tie and my biggest point of advice is, don't buy a fly tying kit. You are so much better off to pick up materials to do say, wooly bugger, hares ear, pheasant tail, prince, green weenie. Simple patterns that you actually use. I don't know how many times I give someone a material list to do all of those easier standard patterns and instruct them to pick up a decent vise, then buy x material, only to get a message, hey I bought a fly tying kit.

Then when they ask how to tie certain things, and I tell them, I get- well I don't have the materials to do that....... Frustrating.

Posted on: 1/24 13:01

From Reedsville
I think there is a time and a place to replicate, but there is also a time to innovate.

For instance: one of the stream I used to fish had a great hendrickson hatch. Most hendrickson nymph imiations where basically generic dubbed nymphs with a different colored tail and legs.
As it happens to be, the hendricksons in that stream looked nothing like the generic nymph. So I changed the dubbing color and body proportions and added easy gills.
Slayed fish using the more accurate pattern. Nothing fancy either, dubbing, thread ribbing and ostrich for the gills.

Posted on: 1/24 14:47

From Butler Co home; Forest Co camp
I enjoy tying and fishing classic patterns. Been tying and fly fishing for about 44 years so those patterns were a big part of my introduction by my father and brings backs back good memories. I tie and use the gamut of classic dries, wets, nymphs and streamers.

However I have my vise with me on every overnight trip and I definitely match something I’m seeing on the stream nearly every day.

I developed a very effective March Brown nymph for Kettle Creek after carefully studying the size and color of the naturals and matching materials so, when wet, the colors of my imatation are identical. Have taken several 20 inchers on that fly.

Last year I shot a gobbler on the first Monday and I have so many turkey feathers I try to resist the urge to pull more. But as I was cleaning it I plucked a few feathers that looked really nice. It was still early so I tied 2 weighted streamers using mottled tail as a “wing” over the back, the Maribou-like feathers became the tail and I wrapped a green sparkle body. Came out real nice. So the bird I shot at 630am was catching trout for me at 1030am that same day over near Marienville. Tied 8 more that night at camp.

There are many times that matching the current pattern is a requirement to catch fish in a few day period whether it be a dry, wet or nymph. There are other times when you can develop a long lasting pattern by picking a dominant insect in a particular stream and perfecting the match. Finally you might see some lovely materials that you can use to creatively build a novelty fly that makes your day more interesting both in anticipation as you tie it on and satisfaction after you release a few fish.

Like I said I love the classics, but my fly tying gear comes in real handy to match current sources of food.

Posted on: 2/4 23:34

From Jersey Shore, PA
All of these posts are interesting reading. What I take from having done so is that there is a broad range of interpretation when it comes to innovation.

It's true that "There's nothing new under the sun," for the most part. Generally speaking, I believe we can divide fly tying into 3 parts: materials, application of materials or tying technique and overall pattern. Withing these three parts we can have both replication and/or innovation.

Pure replication has the tyer using pattern recipe, materials and method and sequence of application provided by another. Simply stated, if one is using something they gleaned form another tyer it may be described as replication...or not.

When a tyer mixes materials and/ or the application of materials in a manner that he or she has never before been exposed to I would label this as innovation. It may very well be that someone else has done the same thing before and many folks may already be aware of it; however, if this individual tyer has not, this tyer exhibited innovation in producing a pattern.

I've been tying flies for well over 50 years and every once in a while I see someone do something I've never seen before and that tyer has never seen anyone else do what they do the same way. Even if sometime later I witness someone else do the same thing the same way and these 2 tyers weren't aware of each other they both exhibited innovation in their tying.

Most of those who know me know that I develop most of the patterns I fish. While I may use my own dubbing blends and I may have some methods of application that are associated with me the basis of everything I do can be traced back to replication in some way, shape or form. Variation of those basics in a manner the tyer has not yet been exposed to is where innovation creeps in.

Posted on: 2/5 11:55

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com