Fly Fishing "Q & A" #4

T

tctrout

In my newest YouTube "Q & A," the following topics are discussed:
*Hand placement when fly tying?
*Which used flies to cut apart and which to discard?
*Vises!
*Fishing rules and regulations
*Tying small flies
*Woolly Bugger information
*Wet fly wings
*Dubbing tricks
*Feathers to tie with

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the above topics, as these are some fun ones to discuss!

Tim

Here are my replies: [youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGih9c6NHio[/youtube]

"Vice" isn't necessarily wrong for tool; it's the correct British spelling.

Ken Lockwood Gorge in NJ, not NY.

Otherwise, good, useful, video.

One trick about wet fly wings that some people use is to hold the wings with the thumb and middle finger, rather than thumb and index finger -- it helps to keep the wings parallel to the hook shank.

I totally agree about natural dubbing to easier to make a noodle with than synthetics. (There are exceptions, of course. Seal isn't particularly easy to dub.) Mixing a bit of natural dubbing into synthetic can make it easier.

Tim, as I do enjoy some of your videos I have noticed that almost all of your interaction on this site is posting your videos with not much feedback after from you on the thread after its posted . Have you considered being a sponsor for the site since you are receiving money from the views gained on your videos from this site ? This is a great site as you have noticed, I'm sure your sponsorship would help in keeping this great platform running .

My Two cents,

Fred

Fredrick wrote:
Tim, as I do enjoy some of your videos I have noticed that almost all of your interaction on this site is posting your videos with not much feedback after from you on the thread after its posted . Have you considered being a sponsor for the site since you are receiving money from the views gained on your videos from this site ? This is a great site as you have noticed, I'm sure your sponsorship would help in keeping this great platform running .

My Two cents,

Fred

Well stated, and very justified.

Thanks for the comments, and "vice" or "vise" is probably correct, especially when thinking about fly tying! ;-)

Great suggestion re: wet fly wings, and it's something that will benefit others tying them. Not a large majority, but still many out there going strong!

Tim

redietz wrote:
"Vice" isn't necessarily wrong for tool; it's the correct British spelling.

Ken Lockwood Gorge in NJ, not NY.

Otherwise, good, useful, video.

One trick about wet fly wings that some people use is to hold the wings with the thumb and middle finger, rather than thumb and index finger -- it helps to keep the wings parallel to the hook shank.

I totally agree about natural dubbing to easier to make a noodle with than synthetics. (There are exceptions, of course. Seal isn't particularly easy to dub.) Mixing a bit of natural dubbing into synthetic can make it easier.

Thanks for the feedback, Fred, and I didn't realize that I missed interaction on some of my postings. Like others here, I pick and choose which threads/pages to read, and will be sure to check my own postings more frequently.

I hate to burst your bubble, but money for YouTube fly tying videos is nonexistent. When you factor in video equipment (just purchased another camera last year), lenses, editing software, storage...well, you get the drift. Most importantly, this is a passion that takes time to share, too. As I've been known to say, giving away free YouTube videos is a terrible business plan!

Posting to PAFlyFish is important to me, especially as I live in western PA and fish all around the state. When doing tying and fly fishing demos, many of the site members frequently introduce themselves, and I love being a part of this community. Sharing my videos is my contribution here, and I'm happy to do so.

BTW, I don't share YouTube analytics publicly, but if you would like to know mine related to this site, shoot me an email: tcammisa@gmail.com.

Thanks for checking,

Tim
Fredrick wrote:

My Two cents,

Fred

Back