Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Flies for the big day

Ok, here are the ones from yesterday...take a deep breath before looking. It gets ugly this is just a sample of why i'm afraid to fish my own flies.

Attach file:

jpg  flies 019.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  flies 020.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  flies 021.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  flies 022.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  flies 023.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  flies 024.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  flies 025.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  P2270030.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2008/2/27 18:00

im assuming you can tell what they are.
The tail on the GRHE is off color but since I used hares ear dubbing from the bag I didn't have any fur so I just used hen hackle. I think ONE of my problems is that I make everything out of proportion, either too long or too short. Not to mention everything is sloppy. The only one I really like is the PT is actually looks good in person(better than my store bought ones, because they were size 18, the tier must have just winged them) My PT's are size 14, HE-size 12, BHPN-size 12, WB-size 12, scud-size 14(Caddis style hooks smaller than other styles??), Comparadun- size 18(I crammed on too many materials, because it looks like a size 12), zebra midge-size 20. I also tied variations of the different flies, with bead heads and different colors on the midges.

Posted on: 2008/2/27 18:20

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
here ya go, try starting here.

Attach file:

jpg  1018_47c5eb7ba46f0.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2008/2/27 18:29

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
They will still catch fish no matter what they look like.!!

Posted on: 2008/2/27 18:31

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Lewistown
One suggestion for the hare's ear, PT, and scud, don't be afraid to start back farther on the hook. I try and use all of the shank.

But other than that, they look good.

Posted on: 2008/2/27 18:32

From SE PA
Your flies will catch fish.........another fly not to forget for opening day is the GLO-BUG............one fine opening day way way back.....I got a late start.......when I got to the creek the fishing was slow........I tied on a honker pink glo-bug and caught one fish after another........it was hysterical.......a good fried was also fishing there.........he asked how I did.......I said awesome, like 20 trout........he laughed and said no way...........I then caught 2 right in front of him.........he mumbled and walked away......the best part of the day was that there was a fish rising every couple of minutes.......taking something small.........I told my buddy to watch this.......tied on a small adams dry fly........caught the fish on the first drift.........all the bait guys were shell shocked.........they couldn't believe it.........

never under-estimate the power of the glo-bug........I caught some honker rainbows at Big Spring Creek back in the day on glo-bugs........the old timers there really didn't care much for my glo-bug antics..........

Posted on: 2008/2/27 20:26

I will try and use up more of the shank and start tails etc. back farther. As for the glo bug, I have been wanting to tie some of those because they look like powerbait..........yep I said it.

Posted on: 2008/2/27 20:55

From Bozeman
They work like it too.

Easy, cheap, effective tie. They are money on the tully.

Posted on: 2008/2/27 21:02

From SE PA
one should never apologize for using GLO-BUGS

another good story is from my college days.....I went to the fly shop and asked the guy if he had any glo-bugs, he showed me a few and I said: any bigger ones.....the gent reached into his fly box and took a few out and said these are for salmon and steelhead....I said right-on........he asks where I plan to fish them: I say the Savage River....he gave me the You Have Got to be Freakin' kidding me stare or the get the bleep out of here stare......he goes, you know they are mostly all wild trout.....I go yep.......paid for his flies and left........I showed up a week later asking for more: he goes did you catch anything........I go yes, a bunch of big beautiful brown trout-- he goes, you're kidding right....I say no joke big dude..........the water was high.....and they were slamming the peachy colored glo-bugs.....5 nice browns.....he laughed and sold me some more of his salmon / steelhead glo-bugs..........it was late november / early december

sometimes you just can't beat a good glo-bug

and if you like catching the golden rainbows that the state stocks....be sure to carry some "power bait" sized glo-bugs in pink, peach, or corn color!!!!

and the glo-bug comany runs a contest every month.....my buddy won a few months ago........

hail the mighty glo-bug or as another friend calls them:
belly lint

Posted on: 2008/2/28 10:32

From Philadelphia
I agree with MKern proportioning is key, try to divide the hook shank in half and make the tails the hook shank length I think your find the flies tie better and are visually more proportional.

Posted on: 2008/2/28 11:17

From Bozeman
I haven't scanned this information for validity, but here goes:

http://www.sexyloops.com/flytying/proportion.shtml

Posted on: 2008/2/28 12:56

From philadelphia
oops,double post.sorry.

Posted on: 2008/2/28 13:57

From philadelphia
chstrcntyfish,your flies will definately catch fish.one way to get over the fear of using your own tyed flies is to have a two or three fly cast.one of your own with one or two store bought.

say for example a BHPN on top,tyed by you.then say a GRHE and/or PTN as droppers.

you'll find you catch more on your own slightly rough flies.

as far as opening day flies:one opening day on fresh stockies they hit any fly with red in it.it didn't matter if it was a red brassie,royal coachman,wired red but soft hackle ,red copper john etc.
i know that makes it sound like spin fishing,but it worked that day.
i was the only one catching anything for quite some time.when people(and a lot of them)asked what i was using i said"anything red!"it was unbelievable!

Posted on: 2008/2/28 13:57

Ok so I tied up some flies today. I am really slow so I didn't get that many done.

I don't have glo bug yarn yet so I figured I would try a pattern I found on google that uses chenelle. I tried that it doesn't look exactly like an egg though. (Also, it was white chanelle so I colored it with a sharpie, so now its RED...)
I also got a new issue of PA angler and boater and tried the pattern in there substituting with what I had. It was practice anyway.
Also did a PN without a bead.
And finally, I was feeling up to it so I tried a copper john. Didn't have some of the stuff but used what I had, for example instead of Thinskin I just used plastic baggie, even though it isn't black. I thought it turned out pretty good.

Attach file:

jpg  flies 020.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  flies 021.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  flies 022.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  flies 023.JPG (0.00 KB)

jpg  flies 024.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2008/2/28 20:58

From Lewistown
Looks good to me.

I wish I was a member here when I first started tying.

Posted on: 2008/2/29 7:28

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com