Fishing Creek Preparation?

TLoomis

TLoomis

Well, I have until thursday night to tie as many flies as I can to prepare myself for the Youth FF clinic at the Seig Center this weekend up on fishing creek. Here's my list so far...what do ya'll think I should add.

Hendricksons/BWO/March Brown/Sulphur/Blue Quill
-Nymph
-Emerger
-Mayfly/Dun
-Spinner

Caddis
Jelly Rope Caddis Larvae
Scud Back Caddis Larvae
Black, Tan, Brown Deer Hair Caddis

Hares Ear
Olive
Birdsnest
Tan
Brown

Misc
Pheasant Tail

Micro Eggs

Walt’s Worm’s

San Juan Worms

Wooly Buggers

Micro Nymphs

Copper John/Zug Bug/Prince Nymph

Zebra Midge/Zebra Midge with Dubbing/Zebra Midge with hotspot

Nobody?

Add "Minnow Imitation" to that list

I'd say if you have all that tied you pretty much have it covered!

Here's one for ya:

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/stud.html

Also, you'll be kicking yourself if you don't take some beadhead green weenies - I'd say sz 10 2xl to sz 14 2xl. There's a tutorial on that above listed website. Tungsten beads are a good idea for some heavy versions.

Make sure you have 4X - 6X fluorocarbon tippet along, too. Bring your materials to tie leaders. They'll show you how. It'll be different than what you're doing now - trust me.

Be a sponge - take in all you can. Be a "team player". Keep an open mind - you'll learn some amazing stuff. Take notes - write stuff down - you'll never remember it all otherwise. Have small pieces of paper and/or cell phone/pda to exchange contact info with other kids.

Above all - have fun! This one weekend will advance your skill level more than any other couple of days of your flyfishing life.

Enjoy - we expect a full report. ;-)

Hey Native ill be goin too! They like small caddis and caddis emergers in that fishing creek. so Tie a couple of them up in size 16 and down. I tie what I call the tiny caddis and all it is, is some tan dubbing with a coastal deer hair wing in size 18 all the way down to 24. They are small but i slay em on that.
Lookin forward to meeting you!

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Here's one for ya:

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/stud.html

Also, you'll be kicking yourself if you don't take some beadhead green weenies - I'd say sz 10 2xl to sz 14 2xl. There's a tutorial on that above listed website. Tungsten beads are a good idea for some heavy versions.

Make sure you have 4X - 6X fluorocarbon tippet along, too. Bring your materials to tie leaders. They'll show you how. It'll be different than what you're doing now - trust me.

Be a sponge - take in all you can. Be a "team player". Keep an open mind - you'll learn some amazing stuff. Take notes - write stuff down - you'll never remember it all otherwise. Have small pieces of paper and/or cell phone/pda to exchange contact info with other kids.

Above all - have fun! This one weekend will advance your skill level more than any other couple of days of your flyfishing life.

Enjoy - we expect a full report. ;-)

Thanks ed! That fly looks killer! I totally forgot about the greenie weenie, I shall make some tomorrow!

And no worries, you will get a full report :-D

BrookieBuster101 wrote:
Hey Native ill be goin too! They like small caddis and caddis emergers in that fishing creek. so Tie a couple of them up in size 16 and down. I tie what I call the tiny caddis and all it is, is some tan dubbing with a coastal deer hair wing in size 18 all the way down to 24. They are small but i slay em on that.
Lookin forward to meeting you!

Sounds good! Look forward to meeting you too!

No terrestrials? At least a # 18 ant. Takes a minute to tie.

Native,

Below is a primer on Euro nymphing, the type of fishing and rigs they use most often in competition. As Heritage Ed said, listen and learn. Good luck.

http://www.bluequillangler.com/site/european_nymphing_techniques/european_nymphing_techniques.html

DGC wrote:
No terrestrials? At least a # 18 ant. Takes a minute to tie.

Yeah I was cutting the grass yesterday thinking about terrestrials but forgot to add that to the list

Terrestrials are good, but my opinion is that May is not the time of year to throw ants on a stream as fertile as BFC. If you've got to go to an ant to get fish to rise, there is a problem.

Now go and catch two dozen on ants! :)

afishinado wrote:
Native,

Below is a primer on Euro nymphing, the type of fishing and rigs they use most often in competition. As Heritage Ed said, listen and learn. Good luck.

http://www.bluequillangler.com/site/european_nymphing_techniques/european_nymphing_techniques.html

Thanks! I am going to read that next period (i am in school). I breifly looked over it. I have done that, but with only two flies, and never realized thats what it was called. I have to learn the knots for that type of dropper setup before I leave too. I wish I could bring my vise to school. With all the time I have doing NOTHING (i am a senior) I could have twice as many flies checked off my list

jayL wrote:
Terrestrials are good, but my opinion is that May is not the time of year to throw ants on a stream as fertile as BFC. If you've got to go to an ant to get fish to rise, there is a problem.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but I see it as last resort lol.

And hopefully I will catch 3 dozen :p

NativeBrookie11 wrote:
afishinado wrote:
Native,

[color=CC0000]Thanks! I am going to read that next period (i am in school).[/color] I breifly looked over it. I have done that, but with only two flies, and never realized thats what it was called. I have to learn the knots for that type of dropper setup before I leave too. I wish I could bring my vise to school. With all the time I have doing NOTHING (i am a senior) I could have twice as many flies checked off my list

jayL wrote:

In my whole life, I can not think of a greater waste of time than being in school (especially as a Senior) a few weeks before graduation........lol. Just don't get caught, Dude. Good luck and good fishing.

Agreed. Sitting around with nothing to do, with a bunch of people that you don't wish to ever see again... and everyone's getting all misty-eyed and sentimental.

It was HELL to miss the best hatches of the year for that nonsense. :)

Haha I KNOW! I mean, I like senior year alot, and I am friends with almost all of my class, but I have studyhall 2-3 times a day. If teachers are absent or we dont do anything it can be 4-5. Thats 200 minutes of nothing! I left early on friday (with a note) and went to fish. Caught 5 :D

Oh they dont mind. I go to a senior lounge where I can do pretty much anything except multiplayer LAN games (Halo, Counterstrike) that take up bandwidth. Lol

So I read it all. I am excited to tie up some of these bad boys. I am also buying a 9' 3wt most likely from skiltonian tonight so it will be perfect for this. :-D

Native - since you have to be there, you might want to collect as many phone numbers as possible from the hotties. Comes in handy later. ;-)

Congrats on that 9' 3wt - Skiltonian showed it to me right after he bought it - you'll get lots of use out of it. Can't go wrong for $40.

Depending on my work schedule, I may try to drop by out there on Saturday to visit...

Hotties?! I hope you mean hot girls my age who fly fish :p

And thats great to hear. I am checking it out tonight. Casting/buying etc :p

And awesome! Can't wait to meet ya. I will be the kid with shaggy hair. I need a haircut

NativeBrookie11 wrote:
Hotties?! I hope you mean hot girls my age who fly fish :p

Good luck on that one! Sometimes, ya just gotta get away from 'em, or your brain will melt. The REAL trick is to find one that doesn't give you crap when you stroll in after dark, after missing dinner. Catch and release doesn't just apply to fish. :-D

I asked em the other day if I could bring mine. If you make it like a demonstration im sure that the school will approve. Thats what I did. We have a study hall every day so I figure I let a couple kids watch while I load my fly boxes.

NativeBrookie11 wrote:
afishinado wrote:
Native,

Thanks! I am going to read that next period (i am in school). I breifly looked over it. I have done that, but with only two flies, and never realized thats what it was called. I have to learn the knots for that type of dropper setup before I leave too. I wish I could bring my vise to school. With all the time I have doing NOTHING (i am a senior) I could have twice as many flies checked off my list

jayL wrote:

Back