First try at Articulated streamers. I may join the darkside

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I had a guy ask me to tie him up a box geared for bass, and panfish. I told him I could do buggers, crayfish, and leeches for bass. I decided to take a leap and give articulated streamers a try. Now I don't have all of the right gear for these guys yet but am going to be picking up the artic shanks and all of that.

I had an absolute blast concocting these things. LOL I am going to invest in some fish skull heads and such. Get some better materials but I think they don't look too bad for the first crack.

I think I will be trying these more often while fishing. I really want to get something going for summer time. I tried bass fishing with lures and top water and such but its just not the same as a fly rod for me.

Any tips on what are some go to materials, reference items, any thing like that would be greatly appreciated. I cant wait to go try these things out. Heck half of them could eat the flies I tied this year.

Are the premade shanks worth it? What are good materials to use? I want to try some for pike is there a preferred connection on those?

Thanks again, and I think I am going to be doing a lot more of these.

Attachments

• artic-marabou streamer.jpg
    artic-marabou streamer.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 40
  • artic-marabou streamer-2.jpg
    artic-marabou streamer-2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 24
  • artic-sculpin.jpg
    artic-sculpin.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 26
  • artic-Zonker1.jpg
    artic-Zonker1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 27
  • artic-zonker-legs-red.jpg
    artic-zonker-legs-red.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 29
Look good Mike.

GenCon

I am curious what type of hooks are you using or plan on using?

As for the articulated shanks, I see lots of examples on youtube where they just use two hooks instead of the shanks. The shanks seem a bit expensive for what you get.

Looks like you're on the right track, good looking flies. I like to use wool and deer hair for heads over lead eyes and craft fur for heads with bead chain. You've already got the rabbit strips and rubber legs going. Schlappen feathers give you a webby hackle for palmering as well as the long fiber palmer chenille. As for the premade shanks I've never used them on sculpzillas and such just cut the hook off. The simi seal material is great for dubbing and tails and looks even better with some kind of flash. The picture is simi seal over lead eyes. I'll try to dig through dropbox and find a few others.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkp5lvrs64kvmvk/20150928_145037.jpg?dl=0

Nomad for now I am using Allen hooks on my flies. I am going to be switching to Daiichii for my nymphs and smaller streamers here in a few weeks, but going to look at Gamakatsu for streamers.

I have never had too many issues with Allen, and have tied literally thousands of flies on them, and caught thousands of fish on them, but I want to upgrade I believe. The time seems right, and I want them to be 100% top quality. For now just learning on the articulated streamers I am just going to burn through my Allen hooks.

I had just joined them with wire for now, but am debating. THese would be fine on trout I think, but when you get into bass and toothie critters I imagine you need to get something different.

This is way out of my typical wheel house and all new to me. LOL

I would think how you tie in the wire and the tread you use would be more or at risk for failure than the actual wire failing. I did see some videos were the wire was tied in and the tag ends run through the hook eye and doubled back and wrapped over. Even for toothy critters I think the tippet or leader would fail before the wire. But articulated streamers aren't really an area I have experience in so I am just relating what I found in my research so far.

Yeah I am assuming that copper wire would snap after wear. Looking at steel or something like that. I wonder if Braid would work.

I also need to get a good 6-8 weight for throwing these things.

You can check feather crafts site they have a steel wire that's got a plastic coating so it doesn't slip once tied in after you've attached your rear hook tie it down then double it back over and tie that down and it's pretty bomb proof. Check out fly fishing the ozarks on YouTube Brian has quite a few videos where he uses it.

Yeah I dont think copper would stand up. Cheech from FlyfishFood uses craft store beadalon 19 strand wire for his articulated patterns. It is a coated multi-strand wire. I picked some up the other day. Its flexible stuff that does seem to have memory. They make it in higher strand counts. I am figure I will give it a try bonus is it made in in the US and the address on the spool makes me think it is a PA company.

Here are some streamer tutorials I found as well.
http://www.flyfishfood.com/p/streamer-tutorials.html

go to the beading aisle in your local bog box craft store and get some .018 or .024 diameter beadalon wire

61-723-49-87.jpg

Below is from an article that appeared in Fly Fisherman magazine about tying articulated flies, written by Tim Skoraszewski. Tim is a guide here in PA and a very innovative tyer:

The hook-to-hook method

The hook-to-hook method is the easiest place to start, and is probably the most widely used articulation method. It requires one vise and no special tools, and is useful for constructing streamers, nymphs, and even dry flies. In a nutshell, the rear portion of the fly is tied on one hook and then a length of monofilament, fly line backing, or wire is looped through the eye of the hook and then lashed to a forward hook shank with the hook bend removed. Substitute a Waddington shank for the forward hook if you want to eliminate the sharp edge that results from cutting the forward hook shank, but you will have to tie the forward section of the fly with the vise in a sideways position, which may be awkward at first.

A few years ago, fly tier, guide, and author Kelly Galloup (slideinn.com) began placing beads on the loop used to join the two sections, which gave the streamers more movement and made them less prone to fouling. You can use plastic, glass, or metal beads but be careful with metal beads when using fly line backing, because they sometimes have sharp edges that can wear through the material. Plenty of trophy fish have been lost to backing failures, so it is best to take every precaution against this.

Fly line backing gives the fly more movement, but Dacron breaks down over time. Wire and heavy nylon monofilament are more durable but less mobile. When tying smaller articulated nymphs, use finer monofilament or wire to complement the finer-diameter hook shank. When using the hook-to-hook method, I usually use 20- or 30-pound Dacron backing. Despite the higher tensile strength of gel-spun backing, Dacron has more abrasion resistance and is more durable because of its thicker diameter. For heavy-duty flies, use 15- or 30-pound American Fishing Wire, depending on the situation and hook size.

Chain Reaction Method

Jointed flies made with wire and Dacron backing have failure problems. I remember my fly-fishing mentor Joe DeMarkis lamenting that he lost a trophy trout in Alaska due to the joint failure in an articulated fly I tied for him. Worse still, he unknowingly continued fishing the hookless front half of the fly, losing countless other opportunities.

The articulated leeches I used at that time were tied hook-to-hook using 35-pound-test gel-spun backing. As tough as gel-spun backing is, repeated sawing by the teeth of a trophy rainbow, coho, or other gamefish will eventually weaken it. My search for an alternative led me to a tackle shop, where I quickly became interested in the tools and wire used to build in-line spinners.

Using a Dubro Kwik Twist tool, I made Waddington-style front shanks from .026? spinner wire forms. The first streamers I made in this fashion were tough, but lacked the movement of the hook-to-hook versions tied with backing. Eventually, I found Daiichi 2141 hooks with a straight looped eye, which worked perfectly with the custom front shanks to create a free-moving joint similar to that you’d find in a Rapala.

Flies tied with the Chain Reaction method have plenty of movement, resist fouling, and are much stronger than any other articulation method I know of. The stainless steel wire used for the front shank has a breaking strength of about 140 pounds. It is strong enough that on straight pull tests, a #1 Daiichi 2141 rear hook would bend out without the front wire even bending or deforming.

The rear half of my Chain Reaction streamer continues to move freely when being swung or between strips, because the joint has more freedom of movement than the other methods. It is important to make sure that the wire used for the front shank is not too thick for the eye of the rear hook. If the wire is too thick, it impedes the movement of the joint.

Strung-Out Method

String Leeches have a long rabbit Zonker strip for a body, and a separate long loop of backing with a hook on it, which creates two problems. First, a fly tied in this fashion can foul easily, and the problem increases as the backing loop gets longer. Also, you can miss strikes if the hook is not near the Zonker strip when the fish strikes it, and this is frequently the case due to the weight of the hook and relative buoyancy of a Zonker strip.

Derek Fergus (20sub3.com) solved these problems with his Strung-Out Leech. He builds the body of his fly around the backing material, which gives the fly excellent movement and keeps the hook exactly where you need it—at the tail of the fly. This method has been used for nymphs, streamers, and large dry flies with excellent results.

There are a few common mistakes when tying flies with this method, but they are easily overcome. Using too many wraps of material stiffens the fly and limits its movement. Using stiff backing for the loop also decreases the movement of these patterns. Some tiers leave a long loop of backing at the rear to attach the hook with a lark’s head or cow hitch. The long loop leads to increased fouling, but allows you to switch hooks to suit different fisheries.

Super Glue is crucial for tying Strung-Out flies. It is not a substitute for good tying techniques, but aids in durability and allows you to add material with few wraps and as little bulk as possible. It is necessary to use two vises when tying these patterns. A spring-type vise, like a Regal with the head tilted straight up, allows better access to the front hook and makes the task easier.

Articulation Tips

Weight. If, where, and how much weight you use has a huge effect on the behavior of your streamer in the water. A heavy streamer nosedives when you stop stripping it. The same pattern tied without weight might swim more naturally but is ineffective unless you can get it down to the fish.

Hook position. In some fisheries it makes sense to leave two hooks intact on an articulated streamer. In other places it might be illegal. I favor a hook only in the rear, but with some species like pike or musky, a second hook up front can be an advantage. Always check that you are in compliance with fishing regulations.

Wire, backing, or kevlar? The materials that form the skeleton of your articulated fly can make the difference between a blockbuster day and a haunting disappointment. A musky or bluefish might saw your streamer in half if it was tied with fly line backing instead of wire. Plus, backing deteriorates over time. However, wire is less flexible and jointed wire flies don’t move in the water as well as those constructed from backing.

Experiment. Flies never look the same in the water as they do in your vise. A sink, bathtub, or aquarium is helpful when developing new articulated flies.

Tim Skoraszewski guides for Rivers Outdoor Adventures (riversflyfishing.com). His Chain Reaction Leech is available at orvis.com.

Link to source: http://www.flyfisherman.com/uncategorized/how-to-make-jointed-flies/

Thanks for posting that article.

Good stuff.

I tie a lot of big, articulated streamers for all sorts of game fish. I recommend keeping things simple, but durable. For flies that I intend to throw at bass or trout, I connect the hooks with 20lb monofilament by looping the trail hook to the forward hook. This is done with many layers of tying thread combined with Superglue. I have never had a trail hook pull apart from the fly.

Pre-made shanks have their fans, especially among guys tying muskie flies or extremely large trout streamers. Their use makes sense, but I have never used them preferring to make my own shanks from heavy guage wire. If you use your own wire, make sure it is very strong and resistant to bending. The wire you can get from lure making supply houses for making in-line spinner lures works well for me as it is fairly stiff and breaks at about 125lbs.

If you are tying big streamers for fish with teeth and plan to just connect hook-to-hook, I like #30 wire and the same loop system described above for mono.

Dave_W wrote:
Good stuff.

I tie a lot of big, articulated streamers for all sorts of game fish. I recommend keeping things simple, but durable. For flies that I intend to throw at bass or trout, I connect the hooks with 20lb monofilament by looping the trail hook to the forward hook. This is done with many layers of tying thread combined with Superglue. I have never had a trail hook pull apart from the fly.

Pre-made shanks have their fans, especially among guys tying muskie flies or extremely large trout streamers. Their use makes sense, but I have never used them preferring to make my own shanks from heavy guage wire. If you use your own wire, make sure it is very strong and resistant to bending. The wire you can get from lure making supply houses for making in-line spinner lures works well for me as it is fairly stiff and breaks at about 125lbs.

If you are tying big streamers for fish with teeth and plan to just connect hook-to-hook, I like #30 wire and the same loop system described above for mono.

The pre made wire shanks are more durable than tying the rear section on a loop of mono or wire, also wire shanks seem to impart more movement in the fly. I used shanks for the big boys like musky or saltwater.

A while back, Sandy (Sandfly) was kind enough to send me some wire to make my own shanks. I believe he said the wire is used for welding. It works very well, and I can customize by making them as long or short as I need for the fly I'm tying. It is bendable by just using long nosed pliers. I bend it around a metal shaft to keep it round.

Maybe Sandy will see this thread and chime in.

If it is welding wire I am set! LOL I work as a sales engineer for a large commercial truck manufacturer.

mike_richardson wrote:
If it is welding wire I am set! LOL I work as a sales engineer for a large commercial truck manufacturer.

It is welding wire. Grab some from work (with permission...lol) and find the gauge wire that is strong enough but thin enough to bend into shape.

mike_richardson wrote:
Yeah I am assuming that copper wire would snap after wear. Looking at steel or something like that. I wonder if Braid would work.

I also need to get a good 6-8 weight for throwing these things.

Just got a new 7wt if you want me to try them for you. :)

Let us know the specifics of the welding wire you find to work well. The welding wire seems like a very cost effective way to make your own shanks.

Heck year. I will look at it. Maybe make a few. Hopfully it is durable enough that you can twist it into shape with some pliers and such like a spinner.

Back