First try's at Sulphur Drys

SBecker

SBecker

So HA and I had another tying session because he wanted to teach me dry fly techniques. Catskill, pain in the ***, but doable. Parachute, not to bad, but have to work on keeping the hackle tighter on the post. Comparadun, which I found to be the easiest, and another one which i forget what he called it. here's some pics. Ryan has already called me out on Facebook about my Catskill technique :). It's ok because thats why i post these, to hear critisism. Rip Away!

Attachments

• Mixed bag of sulphurs.jpg
    Mixed bag of sulphurs.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 9
  • First Comparadun.jpg
    First Comparadun.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3
  • First Chute.jpg
    First Chute.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 7
  • First catskill.jpg
    First catskill.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 4
Using a parachute tool really helped me figure out what I was doing. I don't need it so much now, but its nice knowing its around.

I'm sure he's also got you tying in the base of the hackle at the base of the post, then wrapping up along both, binding them together for that first mm or two, then back down, before you wind the hackle around the post? THat, and a drop of superglue at the base, also really helps build a stronger post that'll make you skip the gallows tool.

Yep, he has me doing that. Have not heard about the gallows tool though.

LRSABecker wrote:
So HA and I had another tying session because he wanted to teach me dry fly techniques. Catskill, pain in the ***, but doable. Parachute, not to bad, but have to work on keeping the hackle tighter on the post. Comparadun, which I found to be the easiest, and another one which i forget what he called it. here's some pics. Ryan has already called me out on Facebook about my Catskill technique :). It's ok because thats why i post these, to hear critisism. Rip Away!

index.jpg

Its a gimmick, but it works. Don't spend a ton, eventually you won't really care.

That, and this is also the only time I bother with a rotating hackle pliers.

jdaddy wrote:
That comparadun dubbing is a great color.

The dubbing is Beaver orange

jdaddy wrote:
That comparadun dubbing is a great color.

Lol funny you say that, I think that orange stuff is whack! I know I know I know "color changes" I likes um yeller! Another question why is it that most every one will tie Catskill and parachute with a light dun but there comparadun wing is a dark dun?

Actually my wings were, medium dun. I think it was close to the same color as my comparadun.

I also tied some in the yellow color Alpa

I am just trying to help you.

It wont let me upload my picture damn internet!

If your parachute hackle wraps too high just grab teh chute with both hands/fingers and pull in opposite directions. This will work most of the hackle wraps down to the base of the chute.

Alpa relax, I AM NOT YELLING AT YOU! LOL I was just letting you know what I used.

MKern, thanks, I think HA told me that as well, he might have even demonstrated it, but I was bleary eyed and a little tired.

Another thing that I am sure Ed has told you, the fish could care less about the spacing, height, number of turns of your hackle as long as it's the right size and color and it is drag free they will eat it. Unless your on the Lehigh then none that matters either all it has to do is float. On second though that doesnt matter either, heck you could more then likely have a heart attack mid cast drop the rod in the water and have the fly land behind you and something will still eat it.

Alpabuck wrote:
Another thing that I am sure Ed has told you, the fish could care less about the spacing, height, number of turns of your hackle as long as it's the right size and color and it is drag free they will eat it. Unless your on the Lehigh then none that matters either all it has to do is float. On second though that doesnt matter either, heck you could more then likely have a heart attack mid cast drop the rod in the water and have the fly land behind you and something will still eat it.

And thats why i love the Lehigh! Why does everything have to be hard? I just like catching nice size fish that give you a good fight because of the current. JMO

Drop the "Y" and add "IES"!

^ I am not following

It took me a few seconds to figure it out, but then I'm not a college boy like LaRiSA.

Here's a hint, look at your title and then re-consider English 101. :)

wow

Attachments

• spelling_police.jpg
    spelling_police.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 3
I was making it rhyme! No, but seriously, we are going to start harassing me about a simple spelling mistake? Geez, Alpa should be banished from the site because of spelling.

I cant help that I have add and I am illiterate :(

Back