First fish on a homegrown nymph

StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin

Wow what a feeling of hooking into fish after fish on a fly you tied,
I'm going to post a pic of the fly and want you guys to critique it etc. I have spent the past 2 weeks doing nothing but tying nymphs and it paid off!

Left wet, right dry, also that is a 1/8 bead i will be downsizing.

96E0A20A-1DB7-47DC-8333-8FDEC2097C11-860-000001B79EE63A52.jpg

Heres one of the 10-12 it caught yesterday

5BBE2650-0C0A-425A-8C63-64D198D1AD3C-860-000001B78FB0ACDA.jpg

Very well done sir! I do like your flies, mind if I tie? :cool: Congratulations.

nicely done, needs no improvement !

Looks to me like one of the most important critics liked it!

Mind sharing the instructions?

70 denier flourescent orange thread,
start off just like a normal hares ear until you reach thorax, tie in flashabou, then use 4 peacock herls for thorax, leave space behind the bead to tie in the wing case (flashabou) then tie the hungarian partridge and i do two turns, then tie off on top and build a thread collar, its simple just a little time consuming with all the tricks built in.

Nice flies and nice fish! Congrats

Nice buggy nymph, with just the right amount of flash.

Good luck, Tony

Nice ties. I wouldn't change the bead size or anything else. pretty sure the "official" name of the fly is a Guide's Choice Hare's Ear. I've tied a few myself that I think are identical to yours.

Yup. You'll no longer be starvin Marvin, they should help fill your creel.

sorry to hear about your new addiction. Catching fish on a fly that can be found in your head is an amazing feeling. That is the biggest thrill IMO about tying flies. That pattern looks great. IF it becomes a go to fly, over you traditional stuff you know you are doing something right.

Congrats and keep up the good work.

That is a really great looking pattern. You could fish it up, fish it down, or across, dead drift, swing it, strip it (as long as it is in the water you'll be in business). Get that fly anywhere near a trout's feeding station or a current seam and they will be all over it. You will catch many, many more fish on that fly. Don't be sucked in by the desire to have to change something...... if it really produces it probably doesn't need changed. Nicely done!

The bead just looks to big to my eye, i think a 7/64 would be better suited, but it did the job again this morning. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

i sometimes tie with a 1/8th bead on a size 14. I find myslef using 7/64th for just about all of my flies. Considering my main usage flies are size 14. I think i use a 2.5 millimeter for 16 and smaller.

The one that is wet looks like the bead size fits well, and the one that is dry looks a tad big to my eye as well. Did you make the thorax a little bigger on the one that is wet? I tie a mink bead head on a size 14 hook with a bead that is 1/8 the collar is large so it looks good to me, A more slim line the fly shows a bead that's slightly too big more so than one with a larger thorax I think. But then everyone likes a different look to their nymphs.

Nice guides choice! Congrats on the first fish on your ties. I still remember the first one that I caught on a beat up pheasant tail I tied. Haven't put the fly rod down since....

Back