First attempt at spinning deer hair

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Just tried this friday night. I did have a few choice beverages in me. I want to learn some bass and pike paterns. Unfortunatly I did not buy any deer hair in my last hair line order, so i had to resort to paying 60% more and only being able to get yellow. It is not that big of deal because these are just patterns i threw together just playing around. It was pretty neat to expand from just tying nymphs, dries, and streamers. I am also looking into weaving nymph bodies as well. I like learning new techniques and hope to improve with every tie.

Thanks for looking,

Mike

Attachments

• edit4.jpg
    edit4.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 13
Yes the choice beverages may have influence the monster flies. I think i will try that big old pike fly on the first day in a group of about 20 guys. ;)

Like i said i was just practicing putting the hair on the hook and trimming. I will be buying a good razor blade for trimming instead of using scissors.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Looks great. I just did my first deer hair popper yesterday also. I'll post when I get a chance.

Looks great... I would suggest packing the hair a little tighter.
Those will all catch fish!

Bare hook where you are spinning & when packing the hair hold behind so you can really pack tight.

double egde razor blade and watch your fingers.

For muddler minnows and big pusher flys for toothies and trout you don't need a big packed head. Just remember. To make 2 or 3 loose capture wraps them draw it tight. It should spin around the hook 1 full spinn. Plus it helps to comb out the stems of your hairs. Its to get fuzz and guard hairs outt. The fuzz keeps your hair from distributing equally around the hook.

Back