HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: First Hare's ear

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

Alpabuck wrote:
My most productive fly on all waters is a size 18 hares ears, on an emerger hook.

Bead dubbing wire. I fish them from 14-20 and slay fish with them. On the LL one day I had a client that never fished before hook over 20 fish with it.

Must have been fishing the fish food section and they though it was a pellet J/K

Post those pics then.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 11:50

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Osprey...I am so confident in my fishing technique I curse at them when I make them miss my fly on purpose. lol

Posted on: 2010/11/8 11:57

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Glenmoore PA
Some of the features of a fly are more for the fly tier than the fish. I dont tie legs on my flies, but I primarily fish soft hackle versions of popular nymph patterns. Some of the most successful flies I fish are also the most simple. On spring creeks, a walts worm is deadly, easiest pattern to tie. Sometimes simple is good. Simple patterns tend to work better (atleast for me) because there is less for the fish to refuse. Take the classic catskill fly. Theres alot that can go wrong when tying: wings too long, body out of proportion, too much hackle, too long a tail, etc. Now take a comparadun, simple pattern, less for the fish can refuse. Also why the Al's trico works so well. But I will say that a properly tied catskill looks really nice,

Posted on: 2010/11/8 12:21

From Bozeman
I am with alpa 90% of the time.

There are some imitative flies that I tie where the wing case is critical. For my hare's ears, I tie them like alpa said... touch dub the whole thing. Whatever it is supposed to look like, I don't know. It does look alive, though.

LRSA, use more material for the wing case, and make sure you get good coverage over the thorax with it. That is leagues better than the stuff I was tying when I had only been at it a few months.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 12:25

From The Hilton
Quote:

surveyor06 wrote:
Some of the features of a fly are more for the fly tier than the fish. I dont tie legs on my flies, but I primarily fish soft hackle versions of popular nymph patterns. Some of the most successful flies I fish are also the most simple. On spring creeks, a walts worm is deadly, easiest pattern to tie. Sometimes simple is good. Simple patterns tend to work better (atleast for me) because there is less for the fish to refuse. Take the classic catskill fly. Theres alot that can go wrong when tying: wings too long, body out of proportion, too much hackle, too long a tail, etc. Now take a comparadun, simple pattern, less for the fish can refuse. Also why the Al's trico works so well. But I will say that a properly tied catskill looks really nice,

Yup he nailed it. It's how you present the fly not the fly it's self. People that tie great wonderful beautiful flies are show offs.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 12:42

From SEPA
Quote:

surveyor06 wrote:
Take the classic catskill fly. Theres alot that can go wrong when tying: wings too long, body out of proportion, too much hackle, too long a tail, etc. Now take a comparadun, simple pattern, less for the fish can refuse.

I can't stop praising thing thing enough:
http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/usual.html

Resized Image

Change the size, fur colour and silk colour and have anything and everything at your disposal. Floats like a cork, takes to Gink like..something that really likes something.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 13:24

From Bozeman
Quote:

gfen wrote:
like..something that really likes something.

Gary to superfluous "u"s.

I'll be here all week.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 13:28

From SEPA
Quote:

jayL wrote:
I'll be here all week.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/11/8 13:30

From Glenmoore PA
Thats a pretty cool pattern. I may have to give that a try. Does the color of thread dictate the color of the fly. In other words, if i want to tie a sulphur, would I use sulphur colored thread, olive thread for a bwo?

Posted on: 2010/11/8 14:27

From SEPA
Actually, the one you see up there was Fran Betters' sulphur, which is what started them.

I tied them with the orange and some with yellow, the orange seemed to work better, but then that may be chance.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 14:33

From Bozeman
Andy,

The orange thread works pretty damn well for sulphurs. You could try yellow, but might find that the orange works as well, if not better. I don't know.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 14:33

From Glenmoore PA
I have some orange floss at home, might try some using that. I alos have some in green for bwo. Just need to pick up a snowshoe rabbit foot.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 14:46

From SEPA
Well, considering the sulphurs are over, I wouldn't sweat the orange.

I routinely use bright (caddis) green, orange, tan, and black. I vary the rabbit I use between blonde, brown, and "light dun."

I've also tied them without tails and just a basic hareline dubbed body and called 'em "caddis," and the fish are just as happy for that.

Its one of those stupid easy patterns, there's just no way to do it wrong.

Its for this fly I want a good wax to touch dub the body, as it is I usually rub my fingers over the wax and then dub the thread that way...I don't get teh same nice, translucent body in the pictured one, but it works.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 14:56

From Glenmoore PA
Gfen

I dont use wax to dub, never needed it. Ive been tying all kinds of patterns, including sulphurs, trying to fill up my fly boxes, and learn some new patterns.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 15:14

From Greensburg, PA
If you are doing a hare's ear and making a loop and spinning it you shouldn't need wax. I don't use it any more for dubbing on a single thread either but when I started, I found it helpful. As I did it more I found it unnecessary. I would keep the wing case but I would use the pheasant tail. otherwise it look great for the first time.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 15:19

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com