Favorite wet flies?

Longbow

Longbow

Played around with some wet flies last year when risers wouldn't hit dry flies and had good luck. What are your favorite wet flies to tie? Please give details so that Others can tie some. Thank you!

I'd love to here what you guys are tying also. Haven't really tied any other than a guides choice hares ear

maybe soft hackle flies is more specific?

Picket pen, hare's ear, and some soft hackles. Those are mostly what I have in my fly box for true wet flies.

Soft hackles - partridge and orange, yellow, or olive; pheasant tail; hare's ear, caddis pupa.

Traditional winged wets - hare's ear, leadwing coachman

personal favorite for a traditional wet would be the light and dark cahill. Always have a few tied up and are a good switch up fly for me

I like the guide's choice HE with a hot spot or a basic PTN soft hackle.

My 2 favorites are strarling and peacock, and partridge and peacock, and at times a chartreuse and partridge have worked very well on a few occasions. For winged wets, a Quill Gordon Dark Hendrickson,Cow-Dung and Hares Ear.

Breadcrust.

GenCon

Stewart's spiders, and starling & peacock are my favorite. I also like Emerald caddis and pheasant tail or hares ear soft hackles.

The Little Olive Wet
M&M
Briar Creek

All are in my video archives

I like fishing all winged wets and soft-hackles but my favorites are partridge and peacock and a dun winged hare's ear. Partridge and orange is still one of my favorites too but I don't seem to catch as many fish on it as the aforementioned two.

I'd like to get involved with the Alexandra this Spring. It looks fishy as all get out to me.

Partridge and peacock has treated me really well during Grannoms, especially the ones with a chartreuse glass bead. I also like the PT soft hackle with a little Amber for a dropper during Sulphers. I've always taken more and bigger fish on a swung March Brown soft hackle during that hatch, as opposed to the Emerger or dry.

dubbing: brown hares ear

ribbing: copper wire

hackle: grouse or partridge

I'm not sure what you call that, maybe a wingless Hares ear or March brown, but it's a simple pattern and it works well. It looks a lot like tan caddis.

I use it mostly in sizes 16 and 14.

I really love fishing a pheasant tail and hares ear soft hackle fly. But, when I am swinging a tandem rig of soft hackles (which I do fairly frequently) this one usually makes the cut and I think over the years I've probably caught more fish on it than any of the other ones. It's called an Usk Naylor.

Standard wet fly hook
Pearsall's Gossemer silk in purple
Tag: Purple silk
Tail: Bronze mallard fibers
Body: Bronze mallard herl
Rib: Gold wire
Hackle: Jackdaw wing covert feather (Jackdaw is one of those fancy English tying materials) you can use any dark colored soft hackle feather. I used crow and they turned out pretty good.

Personally I think the most important part is the Pearsall's purple silk - just something about purple ..... in a soft hackle fly.

Attachments

• Usk Naylor 2.jpg
    Usk Naylor 2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 7
I like that last fly. May have to get the materials and try tying some up. Thanks.

Nice fly John

GenCon

Streamers are definitely my favorite kind of fly to tie. I don't normally go by any set design, though. I normally tie them in natural patterns to imitate the exact forage species in a certain water or a tie them very flashy just to get the attention of the fish. 1-2" Clousers and bucktail patterns are among my favorites for inland trout and I use 4-6" monster sized ones made of flash, tinsel, bucktail, etc for big Lake Trout in Erie.

I love fishing nymphs and dries too, I just suck at tying them!

My searching pair is a Pass Lake with a Teal, Blue and Silver. I really like teal wing wets and a Peter Ross is another favorite.

For small stuff, I like a size 19 starling and purple.

For caddis, the old Gray Hackle Peacock and Brown Hackle Peacock do well for me.

Soft hackles are really exciting me. Just got my shipment of Pearsall's Gossamer Silk thread. Now...if only my hooks would show up.

Back