Favorite dries?

Bobbop89

Bobbop89

If you had to choose between 3 dries to fish what would they be? Not counting terrestrials.

I can't think of three and not count terrestrials. :-D

But seriously...

- Elk hair caddis
- Stimulator (or something like it)
- Parachute sulpher

My thing is I have never fished dries and I usually just euro nymph and instead of carrying an extra reel with me I planned on carrying a small tankara rod just for dries if the occasion calls for it and I don't want to go crazy with a hundred different patterns I really just want a few patterns that will work in most cases.

Sulpher
Adams
Tan caddis.

With these 3, you could pretty much cover light and dark mayflies, along with most of the caddis hatches.

I would also strongly urge you to carry a few beetles in summer and fall

Slate Drake comparadun

Light Cahill

Chartreuse bodied Adams

BWO
Sulphur
Light Cahill

*all parachutes

This is for fishing and not necessarily tying or overall appearance.

Adams Parachute
Royal Wulff Parachute
Elk Hair Caddis

Tan caddis- either deer hair or cdc
Cream Comparadun
Rusty spinner

Comparadun tied in different colors and sizes to match hatches
Elk hair caddis
Stimulator

Usual
Adams parachute
Rusty spinner

EHC
adams
royal wulff

Since the OP has only 12 posts and could be relatively new to the sport, it might be worth pointing out to him that many of us are listing generic patterns, good most of the time, rather than specific patterns for specific hatches. Those might be a completely different set of flies.

I am relatively new, I've only been fly fishing seriously for about 3 years. I have only been nymphing and thought that maybe if I broaden my skills I won't miss out on some of the best fishing the state has to offer.

From one euro guy to another.... Get a dry fly rod and reel and go dry fly fishing at places like pens or Big Pine. Dry fly eats are so exhilarating and it is some of the most fun you can have IMO.

It's also worth pointing out that you can use your euro rod to throw dry dropper rigs by just tying your point much longer and using a good dry fly packed with cdc and junk that floats real well. Then you can fish a caddis hatch or whatever top and bottom

drakeking412 wrote:
Also cool new avatar Dave

Thanks.

It's an old painting I did back in the late 90s and has been hanging in my home for years.

I recently built a new custom frame for it and it was to be auctioned off at the Limestoner banquet that was scheduled for tonight.

Back