Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Fall Patterns

Good question haha. I used to just tie them with 15 lb test and no beads, but learned quickly that doesn't work well. I started sending my mono through a piece of stretch tubing, through the eye, then back through the tubing, and that seems to keep it from flying around and getting caught up better. There's definitely better ways though I am sure, just using what I have haha

Posted on: 2013/10/3 16:36

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Ohio
Thanks, I've never tied stingers off the back of my single hooked streamers. Do you notice that you get a good amount of fish on that hook, or does it increase your hookup rate? I've had short strikers before, but always found that the big nasties either intercept the fly at its head, or trail the fly, back off, then smash it broadside. Those boradside hits are my favorite. Pure fishy violence.

Also, this guy has been getting murdered by bass all season, and will get a test run on nightime browns this fall. I was two handed stripping it and a bass hit it like one of those White Sharks you see annihilating seals on the Discovery Channel. One of the coolest takes I've ever seen

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/10/4 7:47

Nice tie!!! Looks killer. I was fishing a small mouse pattern on spring creek two nights ago and had 5 hits, but no hookups. Some of the hits looked like the trout just missed it, but a few felt like I needed to tie it with a wider gapped hook.

Also, the stinger has definitely helped me more than once. The reason I started tying it in was because I missed like 4 fish in a row the from short strikes one day. The one even had the whole tail of the sculpin in it's mouth

Posted on: 2013/10/4 14:20

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Ohio
Heres one a little more colored up with a Fish Mask. About 5 inches.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/10/7 8:37

From "THE VILLE"
I think a lot I short strikes come from a angler seeing the fish and settin before they feel the fish. These things are professional predators they make a living not missin there food. I never seen a predator brown, pike or musky not broadside or totally engulf a prey item. A line tail grab in nature is just not efficient meen on grabbing food

Posted on: 2013/10/7 9:43
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Ohio
Yeah, Ive seen bass grab fast moving flies by the tail but they almost always let go then immediately roll over and smash the fly's head. I dont know if they do this to stun or slow the prey or something, or its just a bad grab on their part, but I've seen them hit the same fly 3 or 4 times in the same retrieve before they finally get the head, and typically when they do, its violent.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 10:01

From Gettysburg
I use stinger hooks in most of my large streamers for trout (keep in mind, you can't use these in FFO waters due to hook restrictions).

In my experience, large trout and other toothy critters often make it a habit to seize prey crosswise or from the rear. They do this because they can and their teeth allow them to hold smaller fish. In my large trout streamers, the stinger hook often gets more fish than the front hook due to the tendency among trout to swipe or short strike the fly. Bass, on the other hand, don't have the mouth or tooth structure to seize large fish crossways and are much more likely to inhale the fly front first. This is why a single, front mounted hook does so well with bass when used in a streamer fly (or rubber worm or soft plastic).

In the salt, you see the same process with bluefish, which have teeth, when they seize the fly/lure at mid section. Bluefish lures do much better with a hook in the rear. Stripers, like freshwater bass, will usually seize the front.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 10:07

From Ohio
I was fishing EP flies in the surf and saw this exact behavior. A Cuda smacked the single hooked fly on five successive casts (once twice in the same cast) but never got the hook because those things just try to cut their prey in half then clean up the mess. I had no bare hooks so I couldnt rig up a stinger.

I've also heard a "theory" that bass have evolved to take prey from the head because a lot of their prey items have spiny dorsal fins (like sunnies), and its just easier for them to swallow the fish head first, as they cant deploy those spikes.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 10:16

From Gettysburg
Quote:

crs2006 wrote:
I've also heard a "theory" that bass have evolved to take prey from the head because a lot of their prey items have spiny dorsal fins (like sunnies), and its just easier for them to swallow the fish head first, as they cant deploy those spikes.

Makes sense.
While freshwater toothies like a pike or big brown trout, rarely are able to actually sever their prey......this is common in the salt with blues, cudas, or sharks. Nevertheless, the freshwater fishes, with their sharp, backward pointing conical teeth can certainly seize a large fish and hold it till it dies at which point they will usually try to turn and swallow the prey headfirst, maybe to avoid the fins as you mention.
Whatever the case, I like a stinger hook for these situations......Except for blues, where I'd rather just have one sturdy, barbless hook in the rear of the fly.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 11:42

From "THE VILLE"
I've seen natural feedin behavior from pike and musky. On the net.
They take there food broad side if the fish is longer than its mouth. They chew on em, work em over then flip around swallow em head first. Unless the fish is small day like 7 inches and they just inhale em......gone.

I've also head some really good streamer fisherman say trout also go for a stun or kill shot and loop around the take em after the initial impact.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 12:13
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Woodstock, MD
The responses to this post show some nice flies. I particularly like that sculpin.
One of my most effective flies a few falls ago, on Penns Creek was the yellow woolly bugger. Ugly yellow with a cone head. I caught some nice fish, even in front of the cottages below Coburn

Posted on: 2013/10/7 12:35

From Central PA
if you use a white sock you could get your rit dye out and give it a brown back with a black lateral line...you could even get grandma to sew a dorsal fin on it.

nice ties and stories guys.

i also like to chuck some dace patterns around on different streams different times a year. in fact that is how i got the skunk out this past weekend on the Lehigh...it was my first time there and had fun, didn't see another person. love the fall.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 22:43

Thought I'd start the thread going again. Here's a streamer I tied up last night. I really like the color combo, as I feel it has the ability to represent numerous baitfish in a given stream... Gonna take her for a swim this weekend and see how things play out

Attach file:

jpg  image.jpg (223.03 KB)
1668_5266d63634ed8.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2013/10/22 15:47

Nice tie! Looks like a version of Galloups sex dungeon or whatever he calls it lol.

I did a little retail therapy last night and ordered a mess of streamer materials. Can't wait to put them to use! This streamer thing is REALLY addicting...I haven't tied/fished a nymph in weeks. Not to mention I've bought more materials in the last month than I have in the last two years.

The tug is the drug!

Posted on: 2013/10/23 8:47

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Ohio
I agree on it being addicting

I'm a total streamer junkie. Its rare I am tying on dries or nymphs anymore. I've got a pile of 8 inch long streamers waiting to be tested on trout (they kill on bass). My 8 wt is my best friend on the trout waters now, and I've had to leave chest packs in favor of backpacks because of the size of the boxes and the extra reels with different lines I carry.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 13:27

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com