Fall Brown Flies

SlumpBuster

SlumpBuster

So what are your favorite fall streamer patterns to lure out those huge browns. Mine are the Slump Buster and the Physco Sculpin.

I googled them Tom...too about 3 minutes. :lol:

Couldn't find the Psycho Sculpin But here is Mercer's Psycho Prince and the Slump Buster

Some good streamers to look at.

I just work through my woolybugger box
Coughlin

Thanks Mo...sculpins and big, black, heavy leeches. Yep that ought to work. Bugger box is right.

Clouser foxee minnows are the ticket for me. Thanks Murph!

beeber

I like the occasional bugger, but my favorite is a realistic brown crayfish pattern. Because they are getting their last meals of the year and are a large treat to a hungery mating brown.

One of my friends keeps some of his fish to eat and every fish over 16" always has atleast 2 crayfish in its stomach.

Matt I like the clouser crawfish up here, the pine is loaded with them and fresh water shrimp up to 1 1/2 inches long..these shrimp are almost big enough to eat... :-D

What color do you like your Slump Buster? I've been tying up a bunch of those lately and adding some Krystal Flash to them also.

M Kern\

Thats a breat loking Crayfish youhave in ur oic .Any chance on passing off the pattern???????\
Thanks in advance!

My Crayfish Recipe

Hook: It is any size streamer hook you choose.
Lead: .25 lead, 10 or so wraps.
Thread: 6/0 Brown
Claws: Brown dear hair wrapped straight of the bend and clumped together by wrapping thread around each claw.
Eyes: Rusted bead chain
Shellback: Brown Scud Back
Rib: Copper wire
Body: Brown "Life Cycle" Dubbing
Legs: Brown hackle

Start at the bend, tie in hair, then eyes, wire, scud back, hackle, dub body, wrap hackle, pull scud back, wrap wire, whip finish, and trim hackle.

MKern

Have you tried turning the hook so the point is up? Or do you not fish the crayfish on the bottom?

Steve

I have thought about it, and tried it once or twice. I personally think it looks better and is easier to tie the traditional way (it takes me oughly 20 minutes to complete one). Eventhough I know that presentation is 50 times more important than appearence; besides I usually give it some kind of swimming action. Another thing is trout will inhale a crayfish, instead of sipping it in, IMO.
Do you think it works better with the hook up?

My favorite is the black bugger with krystal flash. Starting using a white krystal bugger this year, with good success!

MKern,

IMO, I think having the hook up helps in a couple of ways. First, I assume you are fishing this pattern near or bouncing on the bottom. With the hook up you are less likely to snag. You're point will stay sharp because you are less likely to ding it on rocks and what not. If you add the weight right and put a bend in the hook you can get the claws to "stand up" in a more defensive position that may trigger a strike in slower water.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Good points. I never thought of having the claws stand up like a defensive position.
Thanks your your suggestions.

Back