HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Elsie 2/0

From SEPA
Quote:

eunanhendron wrote:
Guys, i rarely fish. This year, no times yet. Last year, i believe 3 times.
When i fish, i fish winged wets and simple nymphs, hare's ear, pheasant tail etc.

There are plenty of variations of nymph patterns available.

If there are any common patterns you want to see tied by me, just list them, and i'll tie them.

No, I'm genuinely interested in your PERSONAL use flies.

I want to know what someone who has the ability (and perfectionist streak) to sit there for hours to make a single fancy wall hanger actually sticks in the water.

I know what common use winged wets look like, I make and use them all the time. What I'm getting at is, let's see the ones that you tie on the end of a string and dip into the water.

Because I find that a whole lot more interesting than shadowbox examples there of.

FWIW, this isn't even you being singled out, I do teh same thing when it comes time to look at historical and original examples. I don't want to see the ones that weren't meant to be used.

Gaeron: There's only one of those that matters, and the messier the better. Furthermore, Fran Betters has gone on record as telling people who came into his shop for original patterns to be framed and hung to, "just pick them anyone out of the bin, they're all the same" (paraphrased). Users are have purpose, wall hangers are just pressed flowers.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 19:53

From Monessen, PA
Pressed flowers are created by God, and displayed by humans. Salmon Flies are created and displayed by humans. God isn't involved except in that He created humans with artistic capacity.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 20:23

-- Leo Tolstoy

From lower burrell, pa
I wish I had that kind of talent for tying

Posted on: 2013/7/26 20:42

From SEPA
Quote:

pro4mance wrote:
I wish I had that kind of talent for tying

Have you considered pressing flowers?

Posted on: 2013/7/26 21:04

From Souderton PA
Gfen, ever wonder how Raphael painted the walls of his apartment? Or maybe what Milton's shopping list looked like? Art is rarely practical, and the two worlds don't need to mix. It is interesting though that things like flies and bamboo rods can be artistic and functional. If you have the talent to make something beautiful, why would you do less for your own use?
Nice fly Eunan. The tippet stacking would have killed me.
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 22:14

From SEPA

Raphael, no.
Basquiat, yes.

You can also do only so much with a shopping list, yet we've bound and sold writers' letters, personal journals, and other sundries.

I suspect that my gold ribbed hare's ears are much less perfect than eunonandonandon's, and i'd like to know much nicer i could make them if i had the ability to push my tying to the point he's taken his.

I suspect if I sat down with the intent of making shadowbox quality GRHE's that his and mine would be indistinguishable but for personal style.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 1:29

From Lewistown, PA
Actually, I would be interested to see any flies you actually fish with as well, eunan. I would bet your pheasant tail nymphs look better than mine do. Lol. Though I'd also bet that if you ever tied a green weenie, mine would look just as good as yours.

I also like your the streamers and salmon flies and such that you've been posting. I find them interesting, and I'm glad you are helping to carry on the tradition of tying this style of fly. I like that fly fishing doesn't necessarily have to be only about who can catch the most/largest fish.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 6:59

From PA and NH
Two lumps of dryer lint lashed to a hook by different sets of hands would still be two lumps of dryer lint and have little reason to be hung on a wall, or wherever it is one displays their stuff. Leave him be.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 9:26

From Lancaster Co.
I look forward to every one of Eunan's flies that he posts on here. They are works of art. I am pretty sure he's quite capable of a pheasant tail or hare's ear and I don't really need to see one.

Keep them coming Eunan.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 10:08

From Monessen, PA
Not everyone wants to see him tie fishable flies. Some of us want to and/or have him tell us whether any of these works of art are fishable. I have never cast these types of flies to trout or salmon. Do they work or are they just for the shadow box? I think he has answered this with the latter.

Since this is a fly tying forum, he is welcome to post artistic flies regardless of fishability. I don't see anything wrong about the questions we are asking. I am not trying to offend anyone, just making the conversation expand, rather than just having these threads be a vehicle for displaying one's personal art. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 10:14

-- Leo Tolstoy

From SEPA

-shrug- I'm far more interested in learning something useful, like how people who are highly accomplished in intricate works of art utilize these skills in their every day use.

This means that his gold ribbed hare's ear will likely have proportions I care to look at, ribbing material that might differ from mine, certainly wings that are different (mine are all folded quarter secondary slip, on his fishing flies or does he use quill slips, up or down, etc etc etc), beards or full hackles, etc.

Something that's book perfect is nice, and who doesn't apprechiate it, but in the end I can open any number of books made over the last 160 years to see that.

As to two lumps of dryer lint, I suspect his every day lint fly is far nicer than mine.

As "Pick something and I'll tie it," well, I have Google and chances are the Simpsons already did it.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 11:16

From Armstrong County
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Not everyone wants to see him tie fishable flies. Some of us want to and/or have him tell us whether any of these works of art are fishable. I have never cast these types of flies to trout or salmon. Do they work or are they just for the shadow box? I think he has answered this with the latter..

What leads you to believe that these flies are not fishable? Of course they are, that's what the original patterns were intended to do. Along the way tiers have of course tried to perfect them in terms of appearance and it comes down to whether you want to risk something you put so much effort into as opposed to whether or not the flies are fishable.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 11:55

From Monessen, PA
My only interest in this convo is to find out if he or anyone else fishes these flies. I could try to tie facsimiles and see for myself, but I don't have the patience.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 11:58

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Philadelphia
while i personally dont fish these atlantic salmon flies, there is a large contingent of canadian and european fishermen who use these flies exclusively and very successfully for atlantic salmon.

For the most part they tie their flies on eyed hooks, often double hooks, as fishing regulations permit their use.
If anyone is interested, the classic fly tying forum has an abundant resource of tyers who fish these flies on regular basis.

Of course, the flies were developed for fishing, and tied with attention to detail, but with no vise and modern tools we use today. In those days it was 'fly tying' today is very assisted.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 12:35

From Monessen, PA
I have always held to the belief that trout are dumb and exact replicas of traditional flies was an unnecessary expense. So, an iron blue dun with, say, brown hen hackle tails was always satisfactory. So, before I buy $600 of material to match the pattern, rather than the hatch, I was wondering if anyone (OP or others) had experience pointing to the need to tie the pattern-perfect unnatural?

Posted on: 2013/7/27 12:44

-- Leo Tolstoy

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com