Elk Hair Emerger Pattern

3wt7X

3wt7X

I have recently begun to tie emerger patterns for the bigger mayflies such as the March Browns, Hendricksons, and Drakes. Here is my first attempt at an Elk Hair emerger made to represent a March Brown. It was tyied on a size 12 tiemco emerger hook, which seems too small, when I look at it. Any feedback or recomendations on this fly would be appreciated.

Attachments

• TTY1.jpg
    TTY1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 11
I like it, but if I remember correctly don't March Browns emerge on the river bottom and swim to the surface as adults? I always thought that was why there are so many wet fly patterns for MBs.

They look good. I tie a very similar pattern but I use a brown rib and some CDC on the bottom. Also don't worry if they are small....don't tell anyone but the smaller ones work great for grey fox hatches.

What kind of dubbing are you using? I tie a VERY generic pattern that is just elk hair and nymph dubbing. Top floats, bottom sinks. I use it for mayflies, and caddis. I'm not much of an antron guy, but haven't used it much to see any difference.

I would only be a little bit thinner on the body for your dubbing, and possibly add a darker ribbing. Besides that, it'll catch some fish.

I've been tying an even simpler version of what you are doing. I leave off The feather wing and just use only the elk hait(deer actually). I also tie the hair in at the head and have no dubbed thorax.

Kev

Looks good to me. For March Browns you might want to try adding some brown ribbing and some size 10s. Also, try some pale yellow antron for the tail/shuck on some of them.

Ryan,
That is simply Waspi dry fly dubbing in a tannish cream color.

In reference to the ribbing, I did not incorporate any ribbing into this pattern. What would you guys suggest for adding the brown ribbing? Just simply use thread to rib it, or some other material?

I would first recommend using a nymph dubbing. When you're talking about an emergence, the natural is half submerged under the water while it molts. If you're using dry fly dubbing, then that is made to float rather than sink. The elk hair will float and give a good representation of what you're looking for while the bottom sinks with the nymph dubbing.

The main thing I use for ribbing like that is just a 140 or 210 thread.

I rib mine with brown coats and clark thread...I rib my march brown comparaduns with it too.

I have also began using moose mane for my mayfly tails and then I just use the tag end of the moose mane and rib up the abdomen. It looks really nice, but not sure how it will hold up.

don't March Browns emerge on the river bottom and swim to the surface as adults? I always thought that was why there are so many wet fly patterns for MBs.
No, they don't.
The nymphs "let go" of the bottom and drift while swimming to the surface. This is where the wet fly shines.
Then, once in the surface film, they take a long time to transform (molt or emerge) into the dun.

"I would first recommend using a nymph dubbing. When you're talking about an emergence, the natural is half submerged under the water while it molts."

Not true for this species. The nymph lays in the film, struggling to get out of it's "shuck" and a "horizontal" type of emerger (or a dun) is the better choice.

A better style (more realistic) emerger for MB/GF is a TMC200RBL hook in 12/14 respectively, a nymph colored shuck and "abdomen" with light dun colored wing buds/wings and a creamy tan colored "thorax". I also like the effect of the partridge feather overwing. I add partridge legs to mine, but it really doesn't matter.

Having said that, many other flies and fly styles work, including sunken butt emergers and hi-floating catskill dries.

Just do yourself a favor and NOT try to fish it with 7x on a 3wt :lol:

Some nice ties - well done Josh. They're fairly sparse, have a nice profile, and should function well for most mayfly hatches. The only suggestion I'd make would be to allow the tails to stream back a bit more and have a bit of a taper instead of the squared off block cut.

Emergers are killers. :)

Back