Elk Hair Caddis

NewSal

NewSal

Just curious, who ties elk hair caddis' with deer hair as opposed to elk hair?
Seems like alot of guys prefer deer hair over elk, I've always just used deer hair because I have it in stock, is there any benefit to using elk hair? I just cant see any reason to actually use elk over deer..?

Also, do any of you guys quicken the tying process and skip the hackle? I've tied a few this way for grannoms (peacock body with deear hair layed back wing - no hackle), Kind of interested in fishing it side by side with a hackled EHC and see if theres any noticable difference. I would assume the hackled EHC would outfish no hackle and float better but we shall see.

X-Caddis
Tail: Zelon
Body: Color to match the insect
Wing: Elk Hair

Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone swear by this. Worked great on the Soda Butte in Lamar Valley. I don't see why it would not work here in PA

It won't necessarily out-fish the non-hackled version. Elk or deer will work, as long as the hair has the qualities you're looking for. If you are not familiar with selecting deer/elk hair, do some research, and it will save you from blowing money on junk material.

SteveG wrote:
It won't necessarily out-fish the non-hackled version. Elk or deer will work, as long as the hair has the qualities you're looking for. If you are not familiar with selecting deer/elk hair, do some research, and it will save you from blowing money on junk material.

It only takes one time of buying junk deer hair to become a deer hair nerd lol.

"SteveG wrote:
It won't necessarily out-fish the non-hackled version."

Have you ever fished them side-by-side to know for a fact that a hackled version is no better than a non-hackled version?

I almost never add hackle to EHC.

GenCon

I always tie mine with deer hair. Mainly because I always dry a section of deer hide after shooting one in the fall.

I tie em both with and without hackle because sometimes Im lazy. Gemmies will eat both but Im not sure about picky fish.

hans weilenmann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iXWIS9dprM

I use "comparadun" deer hair. However, I must admit, I rarely tie or fish EHC.

When I do tie them, I incorporate hackle, but I trim the bottom.

nfrechet wrote:
hans weilenmann

Thanks! I dig it, will tie some of these tonight.
BTW, Your website is awesome nfrechet, keep it up

MKern wrote:
I use "comparadun" deer hair. However, I must admit, I rarely tie or fish EHC.

When I do tie them, I incorporate hackle, but I trim the bottom.

What is your prefered caddis dry then?

nfrechet wrote:
hans weilenmann

That is one sexy fly!

Not very experienced without the hackle but it seems that it would ride lower on the water.

Another option is CDC instead of hackle:

RCFetter wrote:
Not very experienced without the hackle but it seems that it would ride lower on the water.

Your late to the ballgame with that post, nfrechet beat ya to it

I prefer tying the CDC & elk over the traditional EHC. It is a quicker tie for me and every bit as effective, if not more. I tie them with both deer hair and elk hair. My elk hair is much lighter in color so I sometimes opt for that because the fly is much more visible for me particularly in faster, broken water.

Im scared to fish a dry fly without peacock herl as a body for grannoms just because I've been so succesfull with them lol! But ill try a greenish-brown died CDC EHC ASAP

NewSal wrote:
RCFetter wrote:

Your late to the ballgame with that post, nfrechet beat ya to it

Frechet always has a great link for almost any tying question.

When I first got into tying, one of the guys at the Berks Fly Tyers meeting taught us to use the CDC and elk without the elk. Caught fish on top and underneath!

acesedgley wrote:
When I first got into tying, one of the guys at the Berks Fly Tyers meeting taught us to use the CDC and elk without the elk. Caught fish on top and underneath!

So just a CDC. :lol: If it works...thats what counts!

I started using deer hair over elk hair years ago, and for me its about 50/50 with or without hackle. The last 10 years for my own use I prefer using Caribou with no hackle.

As they say there are many ways to skin a cat.
I've tied Caddis flies with deer hair wing and hackle, Chuck Caddis with Woodchuck wing.
Elk hair caddis with hackle
X-Caddis no hackle with zelon shuck.
Henryville Special.
Goddard Caddis.

All work.

Which is the best? Can't say. I find if you have confident in a pattern that is the one you will catch fish with.

This is what makes fly tying an art.

Back