Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Electric Wool pattern suggestions

From Broomall
Hey guys,

I was fortunate enough to get a hold of a bunch of Jack's Electric Wool (www.lv2nymph.com/) at the Fly tying Jam in February. Since i'm new to tying, i haven't tied any large streamers yet (wooly buggers being the closest thing)

I'd love some suggestions for videos on what patterns to tie that would make the best use of Jack's wool. With 14 colors to play with, i'm interested to see what i can make and catch with this. I only own a 5wt rod so patterns that would best be fished with that in mind would be great. I've only fished freshwater to date as well with my fly rod.

I read Jerry's Electric Wool Minnow post, but i need more step by step directions than that to try it for the first time as i have no experience with this type of fly.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Posted on: 2/24 23:53

Re: Electric Wool pattern suggestions

From Chalfont PA
Quote:

Bocianka1 wrote:
Hey guys,

I was fortunate enough to get a hold of a bunch of Jack's Electric Wool (www.lv2nymph.com/) at the Fly tying Jam in February. Since i'm new to tying, i haven't tied any large streamers yet (wooly buggers being the closest thing)

I'd love some suggestions for videos on what patterns to tie that would make the best use of Jack's wool. With 14 colors to play with, i'm interested to see what i can make and catch with this. I only own a 5wt rod so patterns that would best be fished with that in mind would be great. I've only fished freshwater to date as well with my fly rod.

I read Jerry's Electric Wool Minnow post, but i need more step by step directions than that to try it for the first time as i have no experience with this type of fly.

I'll work on that as soon as I get some free time

Posted on: 2/26 8:18
Chairman Board of Governors Fly Tying Group FFI
www.flytyingtips.com

From Pipersville Pa.
[quote]
Bocianka1 wrote:
Hey guys,

Here is some flys I have done with it. One soft hackle and caddis pupa.

GenCon

Attach file:

jpg  spupa.jpg (194.04 KB)
7612_5a94396d29802.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  purple1.jpg (176.33 KB)
7612_5a943985f2506.jpg 480X486 px

jpg  pupa2.jpg (94.13 KB)
7612_5a9439a634795.jpg 800X538 px

Posted on: 2/26 11:45

Ian Anderson, Thick as a brick.

From Broomall
Those look great GenCon.

Since the purple isn't likely to imitate anything natural, are you just using it as a general attractor nymph? or do you fish for more specific circumstances?

Posted on: 2/27 23:25

From Pipersville Pa.
[quote]
Bocianka1 wrote:
Those look great GenCon.

Since the purple isn't likely to imitate anything natural, are you just using it as a general attractor nymph? or do you fish for more specific circumstances?

The purple if a soft hackle. Intended to be fished as wet. And yes it is just an attractor pattern. Sometimes trout really like the color. Purple has been used for years with soft hackles.

GenCon

Posted on: 2/28 7:12

From Dallastown, PA
I saw Jack at the show yesterday and he set me up with the colors for black nosed dace, a popular minnow pattern in PA. Here are my first ties with the material.

Posted on: 3/4 14:14

From Pipersville Pa.
Maurice, I really like those. IMHO many streamers are tied way too heavy today. Meaning too much dressing for me. Yours are more sparse. Which I prefer. Nice job.
Fish catchers no doubt.

GenCon

Posted on: 3/6 8:30

From Broomall
Maurice, those look great. Do you weight the shank with lead too, or are the dumbell eyes enough by itself?

Posted on: 3/9 14:23

From Dallastown, PA
No weight on the shank. Just black thread to give the black stripe through the wool. The eyes are plenty enough weight for the streams I fish.

Posted on: 3/10 13:12

Nice!

How much does that material compress underwater? Dace are fairly slender bait-fish.

You put the weight under the shank so it would not invert the hook. Is there a reason why you would not want to invert the hook?

These are not criticisms. I like designing flies and your answers will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 3/11 14:50

From Dallastown, PA
It compresses to a nice streamlines profile. You are correct about the dumbbell eyes being tied on the bottom. This was to prevent the hook from turning over. Although the biggest one is indeed tied closure style.

Posted on: 3/11 18:51

Cool, thanks!

Posted on: 3/11 22:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com