Egg flies

Tony300wby

Tony300wby

What size do you guys make your egg flies? I understand what hook sizes people are using but I want to know the size (diameter) of the egg. I want to tie some for Ontario and Erie tribs.

Thank you, Tony

This is a blurry photo, but it's the same proportions I use.

tie014.jpg

The diameter of the egg will increase or decrease with the size of the hook, but that's the proportion I am looking for. I have success in the ontario tribs with that formula.

Mine aren't as tight, and the yarn goes closer to the tip of the hook. I tie mine with a sz 18 to sz 10 on a heavy wire scud hook. My size 10's are the most productive even though they're really big. They are probably the size of a typical marble. My best color combinations are egg with a salmon dot, blue with a pink dot, and all salmon in that order.

2488 14-16 only I will post pics tonight and most importantly you need a pair of curved scissors!!!

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Gribble,
I have the 2488's but was concerned that they are a light wire hook. I was going to buy some 2457's but if the 2488's have not had any problems I will stick with them. I personally have never had a hook open up, but was just going by what I have read. I will start another thread on this subject later.

Thank you, Tony

I don't worry about using heavy hooks. Many fishermen use the super heavy hooks up there so that they can land the fish they foul hook.

Salmon do have strong mouths, but I found standard wire hooks to work just fine.

This is what I use for my eggs. I have bought hooks off of this guy maybe 5-6 times. He usually has a sale every so often and combines shipping on all orders for a total of $2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-DAI-RIKI-135-SCUD-FLY-TYING-HOOKS-14-/370405294120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

ry i just got done tying some blue and pink estaz eggs might i add the bigger the egg the looser it should be so it has some translusency in the water but dont go so big that the hook point isnt exposed

ps
i am making progress on my steel box pics to come later

For Lake Erie tribs, I tie most of my SS or Crystal Meth on #14, but have dipped down to #16 on occasion but #14 is pretty much my standard. I use either the Mustad 3906 or TMC 2457 for SS. Glo Bugs and Glo Bug Variants, I use or Diachii 1510 or 1120 or TMC 2457 generally #10-16.

You guys throwing a few turn of lead under those? I used egg hooks for a bunch that I tied for stocked trout for the kids this Spring, but I did not use any lead under them.

Oh, I don't think you need curved scissors for eggs. Just hold the yarn tight and cut a crescent shape.

I occasionally add lead. I will color code them with thread to ID the weighted vs unweighted.

I agree about the curved scissors. I am sure they'd be nice, but I do not consider them a necessity.

I think that an unweighted egg floats more like the naturals. I'll add shot to the line to get them down, but I like how they look unweighted.

I'll add that I also use sz 12 and 14 most often for my sucker spawn and crystal meth. I use a typical nymph hook for those.

I use a heavy wire hook because I've snapped a few points off and bent a few hooks. I feel better about my hookups when using a heavier hook.

I don't add lead wraps to my egg patterns, but have on occasion added a bead. I agree with ryguy, shot gets them down if needed.

Curved scissors are nice but not required. For as infrequently as I use them--almost exclusive to glo bugs, the ones from a craft store do just fine. For that matter so will a good sharp pair of straight edged scissors. Getting the shape on a glo bug is more about technique and less about curved blades IMHO.

Why not just buy real eggs!

I agree Jaybo on the scissors comment. I think especially after a yarn egg gets wet or after a few fish they aren't going to look perfect anyway. Especially if you tie them looser, then it's ok for them not to be perfect.

For those tying for steelhead you need to remember how many flies are typically lost in a good day's fishing up there. It's not uncommon, if I'm fishing 2 flies, for me to lose upwards of 20 flies in a day. From snags to foul hooks it can take a toll on your fly box. BE PREPARED!!

sorry but 2488 have landed steelhead and kings from Mi to NY and all inbetween great hook!

..lol the only reason I said curved scissors is I used to tye about 400 egg patterns a year and lets say it takes me from 20-45 sec to ye a glo bug and one swipe with the curved scissors! to each thier own but iam only going to cut is once and perfect!

Friggin alpa....had to throw a whole bag of pennies in, not just his two cents!

Best egg tying tip I can pass along is to run your egg yarn thru an empty bic type pen body. I find it really helps to control the placement of material on the hook. Of course, not everyone has my fat fingers.

That method also ensures little to no waste of material!

Back