Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Egg flies

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

flipnfly wrote:
any one ever try to use mcfly foam for sucker spawn? turns out pretty good

Yes I actually prefer the McFlyfoam over Glo-Bug yarn for both suckerspawn style flies and single eggs. I also like some of the MCFF colors better than the Glo Bug yarn colors.

Kev

Posted on: 2010/9/7 17:51

From pittsburgh
i just tied some sucker spawn with blood dots in them we will see how they do....

Posted on: 2010/9/7 20:28

-me

From erie,pa
I ty my estas eggs with hourglass eyes for when the water is high muddy and fast and they seem to work great sorry about the pic

Attach file:

jpg  estas eggs 004.jpg (58.64 KB)
424_4c86e1b19b774.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/9/7 21:07

From pittsburgh
whats that streamer there bowman?

Posted on: 2010/9/7 21:30

-me

From erie,pa
Flipnfly, I ty those in white ,chartreuse and blue . I think when you strip them close to the mouth or along the lake for steelies they represent shiners,i have also caught nice small mouths with them. They have a marabou tail then wrap the body stroking back the fibers till you reach your ty off.I have used under different names U V polar chenille, Hackle flash by cascade crest tools, Palmer chenille,med pearl by wapsi, then i use a bead black or gold or brass cone. Very easy to ty and alot of flash

Posted on: 2010/9/8 9:07

From North Central PA
nice looking streamer!

Posted on: 2010/9/8 9:16

From pittsburgh
i also like the red tail on those estaz eggs

Posted on: 2010/9/8 18:10

-me

From Mount Joy, PA
I'm a noob to tying (less than a year) and sat down last night to crank out my first lot of eggs. I had two types of material: Mcfly foam and Wapsi egg yarn. I became a bit frustrated with the Wapsi as I was not getting the good egg shape that I wanted.

After a couple attempts, I ditched the Wapsi and switched to the Mcfly. Wow, what a difference it made! All I had to do was pull up each side and snip. Then give a quick contouring to round out the egg shape and the fly was done. Needless to say, I'm sold the Mcfly foam. The only problem I had with the Mcfly foam was working with it in my hands as it tended to snag on my fingers. It kind of reminded me of panty hose material...

I'm gonna have to give this 'straw method' a shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ1pBrR5Ztg

Posted on: 2010/10/4 10:38

From Clinton County, Pa.
wgmiller, you can also use the front portion of a common two piece pen. They work great for making smaller flies(16 and 18)! Good luck with the fly tying. I have tied all my own flies for about six years. It is a hobby all by itself! Enjoy the learning curve. It's great!

Posted on: 2010/10/4 16:44

From Suburban Pittsburgh
I like the McFly Foam for tying Glo bugs, it is far superior to the other yarns I've tried. It spreads out much nicer IMHO. I still use the other yarns for scrambled eggs or to put the dot in the glo bug though.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 17:05

From Montgomery County
Ok. So I've tried tying glo bugs several times now and no matter what I do, the material doesn't flair out as nice as I'd like. There is a clear line in the material where I'm making my thread wraps. Keep in mind, I'd like to keep them small (size 16-18) so cutting fairly close to the hook shank is a must. Am I missing out on some sort of egg secret? Maybe I should buy the mcfly foam instead of using the egg yarn in my mess of tying materials?

Posted on: 2010/10/12 21:37

From New Castle, PA
Are you using Glo-bug yarn or McFlyfoam or some other type of yarn?

If you are tying single eggs, McFlyFoam is the way to go. It is so easy to get a nice neat egg with MCFF it isn't even funny. Also use 3/0 Uni thread, 3/0 UTC thread, or other strong thread and lay down a tightly wrapped base. When securing the yarn use only 3-4 tight wraps. Pull the yarn's tag ends straight up and snip to size with a pair of sharp scissors. Very little touch up trimming should be needed after the initial cut.

If you are not using McFlyFoam, Don't worry about it. just tie up some scrambled egg style flies and go catch fish. Color and size is more important that form. Also, while the single egg "Glo Bug" style flies are cool, the scrambled eggs look a little more natural since their construction allows them to be translucent. The Glo Bugs look dense and opaque in comparison.

Kev

Posted on: 2010/10/13 3:53

From Montgomery County
thanks for the tips. I've always done much better with spawn, but wanted to tie up some small glo-bugs for low clear conditions. I guess I'll pick up some mcflyfoam for tying the small ones and use some heavier thread. I was using glo bug yarn and it didn't seem to compact all that well under the thread wraps... hoping the mcfly turns out a bit better.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 9:43

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Hey bam... check out my tutorial on the blog for my glo bugs. Hopefully it'll help you out with getting a good egg.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 15:48

From Mount Joy, PA
Bam - I think you'll be very pleased with the Mcfly foam!

Posted on: 2010/10/20 19:23

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com