Dying bucktails

L

LouM

Need red and yellow bucktail so I decided to try kool aid. First I dissolved two unsweetened packets and covered a tail then in the micro for two min. Very pale red, repeat, same four times still pale. Let it soak same. Got two more packets, repeat etc. Finally got a nice red. Now the yellow did the same thing twice and it completely absorbed all the yellow and only left a slightly discolored water. Nice shade of yellow. The yellow was easy the red hard but its pretty easy to do. Oh if you try it wear rubber gloves.

I take it your the guy fishing the LL with red and yellow hands?

I haven't tried dying fly material but I did experiment on dying bright green and orange fly line with Rit dye. I was able to turn the green lines olive and the orange lines a medium brown. Yes I wore rubber gloves.

would regular hair dye work?

I never tried regular hair dye but all the kids with dyed hair use kool aid and its only 25 cents a pack. There is a internet site that has all the colors you can make from kool aid.

Trout on the LL ignore a Mickey Finn. Elsewhere they work well.

Chaz;T
he mickeys were for a friend, not the LLH. But I have found them effective on freshly stocked bows.

Back