Dull Scissor Dilemma

U

upinak

I have collected quite an assortment of scissors over the last 25 years. They are getting to be quite dull. There are no vendors that do this in the area I live. Every time I travel back down to the lower 48 I forget to call ahead as they always want to keep them for a few days to a week. Not an option.

Does anyone have a favorite small scissor sharpener they can recommend? Most all the ones I find are for the sewing trade and seem not to fit my smaller tying scissors. I’ve looked at the Lansky Deluxe. Anyone sharpen their scissors with these, or can recommend another?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Do you get your hair cut? If so, ask your barber/stylist if they sharpen their scissors or get them sharpened. Most do. Ask them if they would mind doing it for you. Most I think have them professional sharpened and if you offer to pay for yours and maybe throw them a tip I am sure they would nt mind. I know in PA you need to have a liscense to take your scissors to the beauty supply shop to have them sharpened. Be careful though, because they will be like razor blades.

cost per pair (which is how they are sharpened) is greater then the cost of most scissors unless you have a few pairs that were either 50 bucks or have sentimental value your better off just getting new ones and either (a.put them i a box to never be used again or b. just recycle the things)sad but true.

I have a small translucent Arkansas stone that I use to sharpen my scissors. You have to be careful about the angle, but unless they are terribly beat up, it should only take a few swipes to bring them back to life. The stone is similar to TAF-13-T here.
A sharpener is just going to hold the stone at a set angle. I match the angle and swipe 3 times, then swipe 3 times on the back of the blade. Repeat for the second blade and test

I use this vs. a sharpening stone

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Diamond-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B0047QUY22

Just use water to keep it wet and with a little practice you can make a useless scissors or knife useful again. You can't "ruin" a dull scissors can you? I'm sure with more practice you can make them razor blade sharp.

Here's a trick to sharpen some dull scissors:

http://dirtbagflyfishing.com/2012/02/23/dfp-on-the-cheap-6/

Redtruck has dr. slicks on sale for $5 or so right now. Between them and STP, I get a pair of premium scissors or two per year, usually at

>>Here's a trick to sharpen some dull scissors:

http://dirtbagflyfishing.com/2012/02/23/dfp-on-the-cheap-6/>.

That's pretty similar to what I do..

I have an old Rolling Rock 7 oz. pony as well as a commemorative 6.5 oz. Coke bottle that my wife got at the 1996 Republican Convention when she covered it as a reporter and both are good for sharpening most medium to larger sized tying scissors. The diameter in the area of the neck maybe a half inch below the cap flange is just about right for most of my scissors.

The bottles aren't the easiest thing to find any more though..

Jay has the right idea. He's smart - that's why he's in Montana. :-D

Another old tyer's trick is to take a piece of aluminum foil (say 6" square), fold it in half, and then in half again. Make about a dozen or so cuts in the folded foil. This works, but not on really badly worn skizzers. This is the best way to sharpen scissors with serrated blades, in lieu of having them professionally done.

I have a dull scissor and a razor sharp scissor. I use the base of the dull scissor to cut stuff like copper wire, and the tip sometimes when I'm working around the eye of the hook. Sometimes I have too many oops close to the eye and accidently cut the thread. Something to do with my eyes not being what they were. "Jakey, is there something wrong with your eyes?" "No, chust goin' blind."

Back