Dubbubg Help

T

tracker12

As I move forward on my tying its been fun and challanging but for the most part I have been able to do most things. I am not really very comfortable building dubbed bodies. Especailly on small nymphs. It there is any tricks out there to improve my skills. I seem to have a hard time building the gradual small to larger body as I move forward. Any good tutorials out there.

I think the biggest thing new tyers get wrong is thinking that they must dub the body in one shot from tail to thorax and it has to be perfect.

When I dub I basically apply just enough dubbing to double the diameter of the thread.

It's okay to work it back and forth to get it right; making layers. this actually make the fly stronger.

The second thing is not winding the dubbing correctly. Only roll your fingers in one direction. I also think having too much dubbing will not allow the dubbing to adhear to the thread correctly.

When you actually wind the thread pull it tight.

Although it is possible to wind from tail to thorax to think you HAVE to to that.

Dubbing takes practice to become good.

Less is more.

Take a tiny, tiny, TINY pinch in your finger. Pull off as much that you think is right. Now, split that amount, and use half.

Dry fingers aren't helping you. If you have any wax, swipe your index finger lightly over the top. Or, apply it to the thread. Finger'll be quicker.

Tease out that bit you've got left, and apply loosely, if you backlit it, you should see your thread at the core.

Wrap up, then as far back as you need, then again. Add more as required.

Finish fly, then if you feel its neccessary, tease it out. LIttle brass brushes, like a .22 firearm bore cleaner, can be dragged over it ot pull some fibers out.

Fish. Delight as it gets beat up and MORE effective 'til your left with some lead wrapping, a few straggly hairs, and a bruised point. Marvel as the fish still take the hook.

Nothing more needs to be said. Those guys hit it right on the head. Less is more. It takes a while to get used to it, but once you figure out just how much you need on your thread your flies will look great.

Besides the good advice already given:

I buy the finest - texture wise - dubbing I can get. It does make a difference.
A lot of the fur dubbing out there is pretty coarse with a lots of guard hairs. And it's hard to get a smooth body with it, no matter how you put it on the thread.

I really like Mad Rivers beaver dubbing. Hareline's super fine dry fly dubbing is very nice too

I think you hit one of my problems in that the dubbing I was using had a lot of guard hairs. I tried to go light just had trouble getting it there. Does it matter which way you twist the dubbing on clockwise or counterclockwise

Hi Tony - Here's an article from a UK forum that you might find useful....

H.A.

tracker12 wrote:
I think you hit one of my problems in that the dubbing I was using had a lot of guard hairs. I tried to go light just had trouble getting it there. Does it matter which way you twist the dubbing on clockwise or counterclockwise

No.
But - as someone else already pointed out - you don't want to twist in both directions at one time.
Unless I'm tying large flies, I put on just enough dubbing to cover the thread. Keep it thin

H.A.
Thanks for the link it was awsome. Actually, a lot more than I can digest in one reading. I can see myself going back several times. Now it's time to go test some of these stuff out.

Back